Solutions for Backplate Strap abrasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been diving a backplate for about a year and notice a significant amount of wear on my wet suit where the straps are digging in. Also, not very comfortable. I dive HP100 with a back mounted 19 Pony so not the lightest of rigs. Looking for recommendations on what to use to cushion the straps. Heard of Duck tape.. electrical tape, etc... any ideas??

Been diving a backplate for about a year and notice a significant amount of wear on my wet suit where the straps are digging in. Also, not very comfortable. I dive HP100 with a back mounted 19 Pony so not the lightest of rigs. Looking for recommendations on what to use to cushion the straps. Heard of Duck tape.. electrical tape, etc... any ideas??
I have not had issues with wear on my suits but I have heard others who have. The pads listed above are what you should get if you need them. I will pose one question though...how tight are your shoulder straps? You really should be able to shove 3 fingers/fist under the straps while suited up. make sure your waist strap is snug (not really tight though). How many dives are we talking that you have noticed this wear issue? I dove about 25 dives on my wetsuit with zero abrasion before I switched to a drysuit. Many of those wetsuit dives involved a decent amount of walking (shore dives) which id think would add to wear/abrasion but again I experienced none on my wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom