Some Dive shops just don't work with me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in Orlando and have recently become OW Certified. My first real trip to a dive shop was Diver's Direct in Key West. I was amazed at the store size and the equipment on display.

While surfing on the web, I found out they had a store 4 miles from where I live in Orlando. This too is a wonderful store with loads of equipment, big showroom, loads of selection, but better yet, they have wonderful staff that will spend all day talking about equipment and scuba skills and not try and push you into a sale.

I've also dealt with two other smaller LDS's in my area. Both have given me a discount, one because I did my training there and have signed up for more training and the other because I made a large equipment purchase. The wealth of knowledge and being able to touch and see the equipment, I feel, more that justifies the slight premium that these shops charge. Plus most of the equipment for scuba is a one time expense so it only stings once, if I was playing another sport where I had to buy a lot of repetive stuff, i.e. golfballs or paintballs, then maybe I would search for a cheaper source.

Anyway, I have purchased from three LDS's and will continue to do so and feel very lucky to have three sources of good knowledge and equipment within 6 miles of where I live.

SCUBARACER:
Ok, so far I have gone to like 6 dive shops in my area (AUSTIN, TX), out of all of the ones I have gone in to service has been very SUB PAR, except for one.

They all want LIST, and won't even begin to deal, or come down a tad, and the mention of internet is like leave if you don't like the prices..

I was in one, which conveniently is the closest one, nicest guy helped me (owner), and he was willing to come as close as possible to internet prices...He didn't come very close, but his service, and eagerness to work on the price sold me, so I ordered a Uwatec Smart Pro Comp, and got a DS4 1st stage, and Zeagle/Apeks regulator that he still had in stock, the rest such as bag, better knife, and lil things like that will be from online.

But back to the subject, why is it that every diveshop I went in to except one they were total ************s!!!

Any comments?

Are you sure you got a DS4, they haven't made those in years, I have 2 DS-V, one of them says its a DS-IV, but it has 5 LP ports, which only the DS-V has. The DS-V also has a newer HP seat design which has been improved.

And for you non believers, I have talked with Zeagle directly and verified the Serial Number with them, they told me no matter what it says on the disc the DS-IV had 4 LP ports and the DS-V has 5.

Racer, just about all dive equipment manufacturers have a minimum price that dealers can sell at. It is called the MAP price. That is why you will see just about all internet prices are about the same, because they all sell at the MAP price.
Dive shops; however, feel they have a captive market and try to sell products at the list price. With few exceptions, this list price is more than double the dealer price.
Now, it cant be argued that dealers should be allowed to make a profit and by staying in business, they offer a potential service to their customers. But dealers often forget that the lone benefit they have over internet or other discount dealers is Service. Information, repair and warranty service and product availability are most important. If dealers try to do right by us, we wont mind paying a little extra but if they want to be cold dry business people extracting the highest price for products, they are going to find themselves out of business.
Hey, at least you have 6 to choose from. In New Orleans, we have 2.

you know all this talk about Pricing Internet VS. LDS and service that you get with the internet is pretty much bogus.

I have been a big fan of Scuba.com and get pretty much all of my major purchases from them, and everytime I call I get an instructor on the phone and have always gotten well educated and well rounded information and opinions from them. Their service so far has been fantastic, and although their pricing is above LiesurePro, they are a much better company and worth my money.

As for service and smaller stuff ( retractors, lead, lights, accessories) I get that stuff from the LDS. When I lived in Hawaii this was a great arrangement, (smart people, all but 1 of them instructors), but out here in MD the LDS is staffed by a bunch of morons that from my discussions with them I highly doubt are even certified divers, but they do have an (ie. 1) intelligent tech guy to do my annual maintenance.

So to say that a LDS has the expirience and knowledge that internet shops don't, is in my opinion BUNK. And although I appreciate having a shop close, Maryland just doesn't have enough (read none) diving to support the 10 or so shops that we have. And some consolidation would probably be beneficial to them and me.

Actually there are 15 dive shops in the San Antonio/Austin area, very competitive (as of 2006); around 200 instructrors, including 10, or so, Course Directors.

The most important thing is to know the equipment BETTER than your salesperson at the LDS.

I have bought from various on-line sources, including LP and ebay. However, I've spent more money at a LDS (and not the closest one BTW). I research purchases, compare prices, and seek out product reviews for everything I buy, SCUBA gear is no different. While I truly appreciate a good deal, I like the proprietor of the LDS, and want to support him when I can. I'd describe him as a "grumpy old school diver guy" who has very firm opinions on gear selection. While he might order it for you, he refuses to stock items he doesn't aprove of. In other words, he puts his money where his mouth is.

I believe that if I take the time of an LDS to discuss a particular item in detail,or to help me sort out size issues, I should repay that service with my business. OTOH, when I can use my own research to find the product and best price, I'll buy elsewhere.

However, when I need a single item for a trip and don't want to/can't wait. I'll patronize the LDS and happily pay for the ability to walk out the door with the item.

The LDS I use offers breaks on his posted prices, backs his merchandise, throws me free tank rental more often than not, and is generally appreciative that I chose to come through his door.

Having said all this, and having read through this and other similar threads, one thing I don't understand is why an LDS would resent servicing equipment that they did not sell. I wouldn't expect them to do it for free or spent alot (or any) time acting as a go between be the buyer and manufacturer on warranty issues. But can they not set a labor rate and/or parts markup that will adequately compensate them for the effort? For instance, I bought a set of used regulators on-line and took them to the LDS for inspection and service. I paid his price for the service, and detected no resentment on his part. Its all part of the service he offers, one of the reasons for me to do business with him.

I don't usually reply to these thype of threads but this one seems to be hitting a hot button with me. I have several LDSs in the area. Some good and some bad. The good offer great advice and don't want to sell you every wizz bang item in the store. I do expect to pay more from them because their time is money and I can touch,feel, and try things on which can be important.

Just like any other retail shop, customer service is usually what makes or breaks their success. The shops that I steer clear of only want to sell me stuff that I don't need or want. When I went looking for a BC I went to a Zeagle dealer that only wanted to sell me another brand and bad-mouthed Zeagles. I was willing to pay more to buy local. But they were unwilling to sell. :confused: Well they would have sold it to me but I would have had to insist on it or argue with them for awhile. I ended up buying from ScubaToys because they gave me great customer service not because of the price (although they were cheaper in the end).

So if any reatailer is not willing to provide good customer service then maybe they should go under and give a new business owner a chance to offer what the customer really wants.

my 2 cents....

OK folks, you get my first post on this one:
I bought a whole new set of gear about 18 months ago in the Denver area after being out of diving for about ten years. A lot had changed in that time which meant I had a lot to learn. There are several shops to choose from in Denver. I found myself spending most of my time between two specific shops, because of service. I finally selected Underwater Phantaseas in Lakewood (I always feel it important to highlight good service) over the other shop as I really enjoyed dealing with the staff, and felt they had a better inventory. I believe overall I got a reasonable discount on the purchase, but in the end, I don't think the price was as important to me as the service and education I got from the staff at UW Phantaseas. I've always felt a bit of guilt by not purchasing from the other shop (their name eludes me) due to the time I spent with them. It is important to note that an LDS needs to invest in their business and maintain an expensive inventory as well as friendly intelligent staff in order to be successful.
Of the many other shops in the Denver area some had good inventory, others didn't, but in the end, it was the sales staff that closed the deal for me.
Of course, I purchase from the internet as well (I just spent $750 with Divetank.com), but I make it a point of supporting my local shop because I like them and I want them to be around when I need them.
In today’s world what I like about the internet is that while it provides a bargain, more importantly to me it provides a broader selection than any local shop can possibly provide. Regarding Mike's comment about being steered away from a Zeagle, even though that is what he wants, a dealer is forced to be biased upon the product that is taking up space on their shelves.

There is my .20 worth!

SPSundog,

Great 1st post and well said. I think your undervalued, probably your .20 is worth more like a $1.

Back
Top Bottom