Some more Info on the Sea&Sea YSD1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guys i just bought YSD1 and can you tell me what rechargeable batteries are the best with this one. Inside of a strobe it says they have to be 1.5V

I use Rayovac, Lenmar, and Sanyo 2100 mah hybrids, Energizer 2300 mah hybrids, and Lenmar 2700mah non-hybrids. All of them will last about 2 1/2 to 3 dives. The 2700s last the longest.

I used my regular 1.2v Eneloops on my trip to Alaska and had no problems.

FYI for people that either have the YS-D1 or are planning to get one: I've already had two defective units, one developed a short and kept changing back and forth between normal and slave mode on me, and the other would flash at a much higher output than normal and apparently drain the batteries in less than a single dive. and Sea and Sea is aware of a problem with some of their run, but don't have the ones affected yet narrowed down.

FYI for people that either have the YS-D1 or are planning to get one: I've already had two defective units, one developed a short and kept changing back and forth between normal and slave mode on me, and the other would flash at a much higher output than normal and apparently drain the batteries in less than a single dive. and Sea and Sea is aware of a problem with some of their run, but don't have the ones affected yet narrowed down.
Is this in any way linked to my two YS-01 strobes that have failed? Moisture in the main compartment, recharging when turned off, draining batteries over night, one going 'click' and then failing outright...??? They were bought at different times, so have fairly different S/Ns.

The report on my first YS-01 failure says it leaked power switch on the back...
I've yet to send the second one in, but the symptoms were the same.

Well, my other original -D1 flooded on me over the weekend. The o-ring is in perfect condition and there was nothing breaking the seal. Someone said it could be the battery cap itself. It's my understanding that the battery compartment is separate from the rest of the electronics so the unit isn't lost if the cap is really the problem.

Last edited:
So was it only the battery compartment that flooded this time?
Your first failure was a flood in the main compartment like my one(s)?

So was it only the battery compartment that flooded this time?
Your first failure was a flood in the main compartment like my one(s)?
I've had 3 issues so far: one unit developed a short and would change modes and the status light would change colors if you moved the strobe around or tapped it your finger, the 2nd would report the batteries were spent even though they were completely recharged, but showed no signs of flooding, this third one flooded in the battery compartment but the o-ring is in perfect condition. When I called the store I got it from today and talked to the guy that's been helping me with the others, I think I heard an audible sigh over the phone. He didn't seem surprised. Kinda interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom