Some rebreather and rebreather instructor questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goflyplanes

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok I realize I run the risk of looking like a total idiot here but I cannot seem to get the answers I am looking for out of anyone I know and frankly I think I've managed to confuse myself even worse. So please please please be patient with me. I'll lay out what I think I know and please feel free to correct me.

What I think I know (it's a short list):
1-Each CCR is different. Therefore you have to learn how to use each specific one.

What I am trying to figure out:
1-If you are a CCR instructor is it a different certification for each type or rebreather or do you learn how pretty much all of them work as part of training?

2-What certifications are required on the way to becoming a CCR instructor? (ie. you have to have OW before you can get AOW, do you have to have tech courses or be a tech instructor before you become a CCR instructor?)

I'm sure I have more questions but that's really all I can articulate at the moment.

Each agency has their own take but generally you have to have a rating for each type of CCR you wish to teach. Again some differences for teaching but for some, you can take an instructor training course if you have the proper prerequisites. Usually hours on the unit you wish to teach. It can get pretty expensive, I'm fortunate that my shop caries Meg's and Hollis.

Do you have to have any tech ratings? Like did you have to take say (using PADI here cause that's what I know) tech 40, 45, 50? Or is it just hours on the unit?

In becoming a RB instructor - you'll get the basics of general RB tech by getting certified on a unit. From that point on you'll need to get hours and training on specific units. They operate more or less the same way - but there are nuances to each, and accordingly need some type of credential on a unit for liability purposes.

Of course, if you are using mixed gases - better be trained up as a instructor in mixed gas use & instruction. All in all - it does becomes a very time consuming affair if you get trained up on a lot of units. Prism/Hollis, Meg, Inspiration, REVO, Poseidon, etc. etc. That said - getting instructor rating on popular units helps. Meg, Insp. etc. Speciality RB's like the RB 80, or other used to require training by only specific instructors/agencies.

X

Instructor Certification is Agency/Manufacturer dependent. It has been said that you dive SCUBA and Pilot a Rebreather. Every Rebreather is similar, but different (like an Airplane). Being able to pilot one doesn't translate to being able to pilot another of a different type. A 'check-out' is required. CMAS (the World Underwater Federation) is but one certification Agency. Technical Instructors who wish rebreather certification must provide CMAS with proof of rebreather competence (proof of training). This is usually done by providing a manufacturer's certificate (in my case from the Naval Diver School). Applicants attend a two day 'Rebreather Instructor Program' (this may vary from one country to another). Personally, I found this beneficial because each Instructor is required to bring his own unit. As many of these were of different manufacturer, each Instructor had an opportunity to be 'checked-out' on many of the units that are commercially available.

Each agency has their own take but generally you have to have a rating for each type of CCR you wish to teach. Again some differences for teaching but for some, you can take an instructor training course if you have the proper prerequisites. Usually hours on the unit you wish to teach. It can get pretty expensive, I'm fortunate that my shop caries Meg's and Hollis.

Oh? Who is the Hollis instructor for your shop?

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 05:37 PM ----------

To answer your question, most RB manufacturers have a pretty big say in how agencies handle training. A rebreather instructor must be user trained on a specific unit and then (at least with TDI) have a minimum of one year experience with a minimum of 100 dives on that specific rebreather. The instructor must be a scuba instructor on open circuit as well and have the ability to instruct the prerequisite courses such as advanced nitrox as well. Once you have the experience you will have to attend a unit specific instructor class as well as assist on one complete rebreather course.
Once you are an experienced instructor on one unit you may transition to another by doing a unit specific crossover then obtaining 50hrs on the unit you intend to teach on. It is a slow ride but rebreather training is no place to apply zero to hero principles.
The path I descibed is that required by TDI, other agencies may vary somewhat but most are pretty similar to that.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom