Some Thoughts On Reg Servicing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The second thought I had was that for those of us that dive with "redundant" stuff, does it make sense to service regs at different times.

Yes, it does.

A dive buddy of mine serviced his both bottom gas regs and his deco reg all at the same time. When doing this he relied on an intermediate pressure gauge that was faulty. This resulted in a triple free flow at depth during a mine dive. He got plenty of gas though, and the bubbles were beautiful, so no problem :D

Two service episodes, two failures

Sounds like my other friends Poseidon Xdeeps getting commercially serviced in a certified shop. They were good until the first servicing. Then. Cursing. Sending them back really did not make them any better he said.

I think it's time to take do service tech clinic and start doing them myself!

Note: One in january. The other in July.

Plenty of time for "burn in" and to discover that you did a systematic error in servicing. Or that the o-ring batch had material quality issues.

Last edited:
I service mine in pairs when they ask for them through some sort of malfunction. I dive Poseidon Jetstreams and the only failures I have seen were from parts I haven't replaced on used regs of an unknown age. Typically the valve inserts. I don't bother with service intervals though, they get serviced when they ask for it.

"Back on board, I opened up my seconds and fiddled and diddled some. I noticed that one exhaust diaphragm was folded in on itself which explained the water coming in. The other one seemed ok. I dialed back the IP a bit and decided to head down again. The regs worked "ok" but it was hard to relax. The purge function was barely working, so I stayed shallow and cut the dive short since everyone was finishing their dives. I pretty much repeated this on the second dive... short and shallow."

I have had this happen a few times with my Hog regs during giant stride entries. I now do (and teach) breathing from every single reg at the surface (unless using hypoxic mixes of course) to make sure the diaphragm hasn't folded over on itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom