Someone's in for a bad day, I bet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got a better back story - it's totally fake. It doesn't take a photoshop guru to work this out!

I'm far from an expert, I suppose it could be. From what I could see on my desktop, it would have to be a very good 'shop.

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard stories of Indonesian children finding them in the tide pools and picking them up to play with. You know how it goes..."I heard the cruise director from...went to the village to ask to dive the reefs, and you'd never believe what the local kids were playing with!", "The kids tell them they see them in the tide pools all the time". They say these things start somewhere??? Thankfully, I've never heard of any kids getting bit though.

Since this is in Basic I will not comment on backstories or photoshop but respond to the OP. I have been fortunate enough to see them on a number of occasions here in Oz and in the Coral triangle.

Here is some info from an Australian Governement website so the information is reliable Blue ringed octopus - AIMS
Toxins

The blue-ringed octopus has a nasty surprise for any potential prey or predators. Within its salivary glands live bacteria, which produce the chemical tetrodotoxin. This is a strong, fast-acting toxin that paralyses the target by blocking the nerves from transmitting messages. This toxin can be fatal; it has known to have caused the deaths of at least three people: two in Australia and one in Singapore. Many more people have come close to death as a result of the bite of the blue-ringed octopus. The paralysis that overcomes the victim is only to their voluntary muscles; they remain fully conscious. Death usually occurs as a result of lack of oxygen. Thus, if mouth to mouth resuscitation is given to a victim of a blue-ringed octopus, they should fully recover. The good news for swimmers in the waters where blue-ringed octopuses are found, is that they are retiring creatures and will only bite if they are being harassed and poked.

Here is another website for fun

More appropriate general statistics
http://www.bobinoz.com/migration-advice/australias-killer-creatures-the-truth-about-deaths/

I'm far from an expert, I suppose it could be. From what I could see on my desktop, it would have to be a very good 'shop.
Not very good at all. Very distinct masking pattern around the octopus.

Attachments

• masking.jpg
    masking.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 89
Got a possible back story, or at least a portion of a possible back story. Apparently the person has terminal cancer, and doesn't expect to be long for this world, anyway.

ETA: Or, possibly some sort of degenerative disease and stuff that causes him near constant pain.

It's photoshopped anyway - that's a better backstory

DEFINITELY not real. I'm an Aussie. It's too big to be a Blue Ring and secondly, they are alot darker with the rings fluorescent blue. One bite (the holder would not have time to get this photo taken) and the entire nervous system shuts down, so you are lying there, eyes wide open (can't even blink) with your hearing working and your heart stopped. So if you get bitten (usually within seconds), then you can lay there with the paramedics pumping your heart while the bystanders tell them to stop because you are dead. After about 20 minutes of your blood pumping (usually by CPR) you wake up and start breathing. If it is a Blue Ring (doesn't look like one), then this photo is taken in the hand of a corpse.

Attachments

• Blue Ring Octopus.jpg
    Blue Ring Octopus.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 82
@Zod066 , there's many blue rings. The one I saw in Sydney was small, but the "general size" is given 5cm for the head and up to 10cm per arm. Some say 20cm long from the top of the head to the end of a tentacle.

Not every venomous creature bites every time it's handled. I have had sea kraits swim through my legs with no problems, when I was a kid at Boy Scout camp, one of the campers kept a coral snake in his pocket almost all week until staff saw it. This pic is obviously photoshopped, but unless a creature feels threatened, they may not envenomate.

Back
Top Bottom