Sometimes optimism isn't enough

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whaleboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In regards to PADI DM.
I have been to 3 OW / DSD classes so far where I helped out and assisted. I enjoyed it thoroughly, training others is one thing I seem to be fairly good at. The material is not an issue nor is my instructor, he is one of the best. My issue is the cost. I guess I never got straight answers from anyone, the shop was really cool to cut me a break, however the impending cost of
1. Taking the test fee $90 (Found this out from a friend who's DM'ing)
2. Certification fee ? ( Do you pay for your first year?) And what does it cost per year ?
3. Insurance $300 or so.
4. Those hidden charges you find out about at the end of the program. (Just a place holder)

So far I sank a few hundred in materials and tuition and I am contemplating jumping ship, cut my losses and move on. :depressed:
Thing is, how do normal worker bee's afford this? $400 + just to stay certified and insured per year.
Everyone I met, and that includes the instructors, except for the IDC, say I will not make money at this, and I will never break even.
Its a love it and do it attitude, because its fun, etc...if you have the money to burn.

I understand pricing something high enough to keep the riff raff out, and make it so that you have to be serious or well off to continue
up the PADI Pro ladder, but its hurting those of us who can make a difference and do the sport and the environment, some good.

Most just go diving.

The "PADI pro ladder" is simply a marketing scheme. Most of the divers I respect have a single laminated card that was issued before I was born and never bothered to pursue additional validation. They pushed their boundaries gently and over the years until they were doing the dives they wanted to do. By the time they "needed" a card, they knew someone who could vouch for them with an agency and print up their qualification as a matter of procedure.

If you want to teach, there is an associated cost for that opportunity. If you have a business mindset you'll have no problem recouping your costs.

If you find value in the activity but don't want to commit your life to teaching perhaps $400 is not a sum worthy of consideration.

If you're not comfortable with the fees, and aren't able to foresee a method of at least breaking even, perhaps you should spend your money on things like boat charters and actually diving instead?

Hey man, glad to see you in DM training. When did you do your rescue? My shops schedule and my schedule are just not in allignment on that and I may just need to take the rescue elsewhere.

So you did not know about insurance? I have definitely seen that mentioned many times on here.

Doesn't your shop add you as a rider on their insurance or are you having to take out your own policy?

A few hundred in materials and tuition? Seems like you are down playing that one.

Come on man, it's not for the timid! :wink:

Simply put, many DM's need a 1st income to support themselves. It 'aint all beer and skittles.

It's unfortunate you didn't research enough on the real costs of being a DM. If you move on to Instructor, those costs only go one way...

Hey man, glad to see you in DM training. When did you do your rescue? My shops schedule and my schedule are just not in allignment on that and I may just need to take the rescue elsewhere.

So you did not know about insurance? I have definitely seen that mentioned many times on here.

Doesn't your shop add you as a rider on their insurance or are you having to take out your own policy?
Hey Keith - I did rescue back in October 2012 - defiantly a class worth the time, energy and $$. I realize I didn't finish my sentence after the list of cost's. I knew about them, but I was optimistic that I could handle them and somehow justify it. As far as the shop, my friend's shop (the nation-wide one) will pay for the insurance if you work for them. I don't want to assume that part time employment at the small shop I'm DM'ing through, is part of the package. I'm sure I will find out soon enough. We should dive soon ...

I believe the total cost to do the course for me was around $1,000--course plus materials. Maybe a little less. I'll probably make that back at some point as we get $300 to assist an OW course. If I were younger with more time to go this would be less of a concern. Then again, if you get a college degree then a job, you don't really think about "making back" the degree costs. My total for PADI membership plus insurance is about $260/yr. I believe our insurance is somewhat lower in Canada than in the U.S.--one of the few things that's cheaper here, maybe due to our socialized medicine. I also cut this cost by taking only the insurance to assist with classes--thing it's about $70 more for the whole package. I believe you can deduct costs and expenses, but only against your DM income, not your total income from a day job. Haven't made enough yet to make it worthwhile, but will carry forward. Keep all receipts. I believe the gov't. must believe that it is not a hobby and that you make a fair bit of money.

My DM program has so far set me back somewhere around $650 in materials and learning. It has forced me to have a better understanding of dive physiology, and I too enjoy working with open water students discovering breathing underwater for the first time.

I also agree that DM isn't for everyone. A lot of shops push people into it, but I've wanted this from day one. I love to dive and enjoy teaching, but am enjoying my role as a DMC right now. I'm planning to finish early next year, but I'm taking some time off to improve a few parts of my diving by taking on Tec 40.

I find teaching others helps me to understand it in another way. The questions I'm asked force me to really think about what's going on. As far as fees go, I find that its worth it. Its not the cheapest thing in the world, but neither is diving, and certainly not sharing your joys with someone else.

Hey Keith - I did rescue back in October 2012 - defiantly a class worth the time, energy and $$. I realize I didn't finish my sentence after the list of cost's. I knew about them, but I was optimistic that I could handle them and somehow justify it. As far as the shop, my friend's shop (the nation-wide one) will pay for the insurance if you work for them. I don't want to assume that part time employment at the small shop I'm DM'ing through, is part of the package. I'm sure I will find out soon enough. We should dive soon ...

I actually make a bit of money as a DM. The shop I work for pays my insurance, and I run some shore dives on the weekend. I make $10/diver, often with more than 8-10 divers showing up. The record is 22 divers. I also get free boat trips if I play DM, which often translates to not much work at all and free diving. My air fills are free, my gear labor is free, and I get a discount on gear. It's not making millions, or supporting me as full time work, but for me just the free airfills save me a few hundred dollars/year.

Why not just ask the shop your questions? If you're comfortable enough to do your pro training with a shop, why wouldn't you be comfortable enough to ask? Part of being a professional at anything is the ability to advocate for yourself. It's much less likely you will get any benefits or paying work if you're not willing to step up and ask about them or for them.

Reactions: Tug
It is kind of eyebrow-raising, the whole DM thing in the United States. You pay for the class, pay for your insurance, pay all your own expenses to show up and help with classes, and volunteer your time. I often wonder why anyone does it, except that, often, helping people learn to dive is fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom