Sony A6000 / A6300 meikon housing review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's interesting. That was not my experience at all with Meikon's customer service. Considering that we are half a world away and several time zones apart. I found the customer service was good. They weren't going to fix my issue, because I was out of warranty, but I was able to purchase a replacement part for a decent price, and it was shipped to me for free. The shipping cost alone from Hong Kong, could have potentially been more then the part itself.

My only issue in the entire process, was not a Meikon problem, but a ISC LAX or U.S. Customs issue. The part sat in Customs for five days before it was released to be delivered by the USPS.

I stand by my experience, they haven't had any interest in supporting their product. They've continually said they're looking into the problem for months and now just flat out ignore me when I follow up.

im not familiar with the Meikon lights , or how they work and function .. But as for the camera Housings they are built very well , very durable , and well designed for underwater photography .. and they price doesnt break the bank account .. when i emailed Meikon i got a quick reply from them , and they were more than helpful with my questions about the sony A6000 and the lenses that fit in the Housing ..

the Only video lights i see on their website are Archon .. So looks like its not there brand , and probably why your getting ignored , have you tried contacting archon ?

Last edited:
Late to the thread but thought I'd share my experience.

I've been using this housing for a few years now with no issues. Just ordered a new mounting plate because I stripped the threads when adapting an Ikelite dual handle set. I've tend to replace o-rings every couple of years but will likely move that to every year... cheap insurance.

I did get a Howshot magnetic mount and adapter for the wet dome lens. This way I can easily flood the lens with out bothering with the threads. There is an extra mount adapter on the bottom of the base plate as well for storage, lens tethered to the base on the chance that it gets knocked off the holder.

It's been a great rig. Wouldn't hesitate to get another Meikon housing for a new camera. The only thing that will pull me to a more expensive housing is the option for lens ports.

DSC07069 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
Late to the thread but thought I'd through in my experience.

I've been using this housing for a few years now with no issues. Just ordered a new mounting plate because I stripped the threads when adapting an Ikelite dual handle set. I've tend to replace o-rings every couple of years but will likely move that to every year... cheap insurance.

I did get a Howshot magnetic mount and adapter for the wet dome lens. This way I can easily flood the lens with out bothering with the threads. There is an extra mount adapter on the bottom of the base plate as well for storage, lens tethered to the base on the chance that it gets knocked off the holder.

It's been a great rig. Wouldn't hesitate to get another Meikon housing for a new camera. The only thing that will pull me to a more expensive housing is the option for lens ports.

View attachment 415741

hey thanks for checking in ..! what Lens do you use on your camera .. the stock lens 16 /50 ? or did you go with another lens .. Do you shoot macro with the Set up .. if so what is the lens set up for that ?
thanks

hey thanks for checking in ..! what Lens do you use on your camera .. the stock lens 16 /50 ? or did you go with another lens .. Do you shoot macro with the Set up .. if so what is the lens set up for that ?
thanks

Typically the 16/50. I've have a Sony 35/1.8 which Meikon says will work but have had some autofocus issues. I tend to do more 'landscape' work for a few reasons... one of which is I'm colour blind and don't always manage to pick out the little interesting creatures :) I also like to image divers. Trying to get to the point where I can sell souvenir pics to divers and snorkelers when I retire to the Caribbean.

Fyi, the latest orings I got from Meikon are white making it very difficult to spot any lint on it! Much prefer the old red rings... Anyone have another source other than Meikon directly? I have had the housing for 3-4 years now and have not had any issues. I do change the oring annually.

Fyi, the latest orings I got from Meikon are white making it very difficult to spot any lint on it! Much prefer the old red rings... Anyone have another source other than Meikon directly? I have had the housing for 3-4 years now and have not had any issues. I do change the oring annually.

Interesting point. I just placed an order with Meikon including a housing o-ring... never thought about the colour... or what I might not see with a white one. It's listed as 130mmx3.5mm so theoretically any matching spec ring will do... here's one on Amazon Canada 130mm Outside Dia 3.5mm Thick Flexible Silicone O Ring Seal Brick Red: Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

Reactions: mbs
DSC08822 - Copy.jpg

Did some shakedown dives this weekend (dialing in buoyancy of a new wetsuit) so I thought it would be a good chance to try the 35/1.8 lens in the housing again. Also got to use my new YS-D2 strobe again (mounted left as you can tell... could have dialed it down a little!) Not much to photograph in this lake... especially with ANY colour other than green lol. Did find this sunken water line marker (we all pump water out of the lake and most of us use ducks as buoys)

Oh, forgot to mention I noticed the C2 housing button has stopped contacting the camera button unless I shim the camera up on the right. Something to watch for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom