Sony PC350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zaf88

Contributor
Reaction score
Im getting the sony pc350 and I dont know which housing to get. Ive had ikelites before but really dotn want to do mechanical anymore, but when I went to the store to see the electronic housings the rep STRONGLY recommended I didnt get one. Have people had problems with the electrical housings? I am looking at the amphibico housing with the external LCD, Is this a good unit?

I've talked to a few people that have much experiance. Here is what I think:

People seem to have pretty strong preferences. A little bit of corrosion can mess up an electric conrol and cause it to be unreliable while you can see a mechanical control. The mechanical control is prety much fail proof untill it leaks and even then feild repair might be possible.
It seems peole who have had leaks in mechanical controls hate mechanical controls and those who've have LANC plugs not work hate those.

One strong argument for electronic housing for consummer level video cameras is that that latest batch of consummer camers has so many the fucntions only available via the LCD touch screen. There is simply no way to make a mechanical white ballalnce control because the physical button is missing from the camera.
A lot of professionals like mechanical controls. So us amatuers might think these guys must know what they are talking about but then, look at the professional cameras, they have things like _real_ focus and _real_ zoom contols. No one would willingly give up a ring for a pair of buttons. But if your camera lacks the rings what do you give up?

I don't thnk the argument will end. But I do think if a lot depends on how you use the system. Say if you do it for a living, or you just spent $5,000 to go some place to get a shoot I'd sure as heck have at least two cameras and a kit of spare parts for the housing. With enough backups either type of system is reliable and field repairable. But if the system is used only on local dives, fix it when you get home.

My prefference in a housing is one that can house a few different cameras. I know I'll be upgrading cameras and don't want to have to buy multiple housings. So I'm thinking "electronic".

It all seem moot now. It's aining so much here that I have not been able to get in the water except for once in the last two weeks and even then it was 2 to 5 foot vis.

zaf88:
Im getting the sony pc350 and I dont know which housing to get. Ive had ikelites before but really dotn want to do mechanical anymore, but when I went to the store to see the electronic housings the rep STRONGLY recommended I didnt get one. Have people had problems with the electrical housings? I am looking at the amphibico housing with the external LCD, Is this a good unit?

Well I can tell you from plenty of experience that the electronics are very nice to have when they work properly. Having full access to all camera functions at your fingertips without moving your hands off the hand grips is very nice. However, they are of course electronics.

I have personally had, and have many customers who have had problems with their electronic systems.

That said, I am sure you have experienced the inconvenience of the manual controls before. The control knobs slipping off the camera buttons. The choice is a personal one.

I can tell you that I have always been a big proponent of the electronics. However I have recently had some experiences with my electronics and it happened to be at a time that was extremely critical (I was on a film shoot). So, I have been favoring the mechanical housings, Gates more specifically. My customers have been extremely happy with the Gates products. I currently have 2 housings on order for the new high def Sony cameras. Also, the PC350 in a Gates housing is my number one selling video system due to the quality of the camera, housing and ports. The durability of the housing is very important.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask, I wil happy to respond and do whatever I can to help you.

zaf88:

I also use the pc 350. After much research, I choose to purchase my housing from Warren at UnderSea Video Housings in California. Simple to use, electronic controls, affordable and adaptable. You can disassembe the electronic button controls to inspect or clean ...but they are made of 1) sealed ic board 2) plastic button w/ magnetic tip and 3) SS spring. I have had zero problems with the controls (unlike reports on other manufactureres housings). I began a couple years ago using this same housing with a Sony PC 120. When I upgraded to the 350 warren made the necessary minor modifications ...no problem!

I will attmpt to refer to a link with some photos using the PC 350 ...I don't have video samples online yet, but soon:

http://homepage.mac.com/oceansalive/CozMemories/PhotoAlbum8.html

Feel free to PM me with questions.

I have the PC330. I chose the Light & Motion Mako housing with monitor back. I suggest that you look seriously at a housing with a monitor. Trying to accurately frame your shots underwater through a tiny viewfinder or by guesswork is sub-optimal.

I don't think you need to worry about the reliability of electronics. That's a bit like insisting on riding a horse because cars are unreliable. Years ago the manufacturers figured out how to make the cars and electronic housings reliable but a few old luddites still espouse the advantages of mechanical...

Regards
Peter

I've had a Sony PC330 for a couple of years now. Initially I got the Ikelite housing. After comparing it to the UnderSea Video Housing product, I went with the USVH. I also recommend getting the rear monitor. The housing has been trouble free, and Warren at USVH provides excellent customer service.

Hi - Im in the UK and am currently waiting for delivery of a USVH housing for my PC350E. After a lot of research and cost balancing I found that USVH met my needs. Also Warren has been very helpful and has a lot of positive feedback !!

Sandworm 40:
I've had a Sony PC330 for a couple of years now. Initially I got the Ikelite housing. After comparing it to the UnderSea Video Housing product, I went with the USVH. I also recommend getting the rear monitor. The housing has been trouble free, and Warren at USVH provides excellent customer service.

Back
Top Bottom