Sony RX100v - anyone using one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watttyler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi Everyone

Thinking of getting an RX100v for both topside and underwater use. I'm sold on it for above water use but all the reviews I'm reading mention poor battery life. Is anyone on here using the MK V? If so how are you finding it particularly in terms of battery duration when shooting video?

I imagine shooting in 4K video suck the battery down pretty good. How is the battery life for photography (that being stills)?

Nauticam is working on a housing I do think.

N

I have RX100IV, battery sucks. Really sucks. Shooting 4K Video the battery maybe can last an hour. Shooting stills, if you use strobes, battery will be dead in 2 dives.

I have RX100IV, battery sucks. Really sucks. Shooting 4K Video the battery maybe can last an hour. Shooting stills, if you use strobes, battery will be dead in 2 dives.

Thanks both of you for your responses. Really helpful!

So, shooting 4K video you reckon you can just about squeeze an hours dive out of it - how much (duration) video do you think you would expect to shoot in that time?

As to the R100iv - whats your general view on it - do you like it? Would you buy it again?

Thanks both of you for your responses. Really helpful!

So, shooting 4K video you reckon you can just about squeeze an hours dive out of it - how much (duration) video do you think you would expect to shoot in that time?

As to the R100iv - whats your general view on it - do you like it? Would you buy it again?
I like it as a compact system. But I've been using DSLR on topside all my life so I just made the switch to DSLR underwater. Way better battery life.

I'll be shooting one in a few weeks in Bonaire... I just got the camera a few days ago (housing arrives on Monday), and so far I've found one new feature no one really seems to know about (at least from what I've seen). In memory recall mode, there is now a way to save four extra memory settings to your SD Card (M1-M4). This gives you a total of 7 "custom templates" to work with. I like to have one where the zoom is automatically saved at 28mm for my WWL-1 lens and I think it will be use useful to setup some others for custom white balance at various depths when shooting video.

What housing did you get?

How do you know you need to zoom for the adapter lens if you do not have the housing yet?

Battery duration?

N

I will be using the Nauticam housing... The battery is completely worthless, it's worse than the IV and that was bad... I am actually looking into building a custom external battery that can be connected through the bulkhead, but I am not sure if there's enough room in the housing to fit a right angle USB (plus it will prob. cost me close to $750 to build an external battery, with the only plus of spending that kind of money would be it could potentially work for any camera)...

As for how I know I will have to zoom, I used to own the IV which is virtually the same camera. This one's primary upgrade is the focus speed, and then more esoteric features like extra presets. It's the exact same body and lens.

Thanks for the post - can you report back as to how you get on with your new MK V? I'd be interested to know.

The battery life sounds disappointing. N

Back
Top Bottom