Sore feet from fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

juggernutt

Reaction score
Hi,

I have very wide feet and when I dive I always end up with sore feet. It's like getting tortured...

I still borrow the fins from teh shops and because I dive in the tropics it's always a fin that has a boot in it already.
Could you tell me which brand of such fins have wide fits?

Or should I go and buy boots and seperate fins?
I hesitate because of teh very high cost. But is this the only option for me or is there fins with boots in it that are ok for wide feet?

Find fins that fit you comfortably and buy them. I'd personally rather rent any other item than fins. Fins are too important to use whatever is available.

So how do I knwo if a fin fits? or is a good wear?

Man 'my equipment is getting bigger and bigger...mask, suit and now fins too.

Could I just buy boots and use the fins that they have there?

I have wide feet and use Oceanic booties (I think...) and the Dacor Tiger fins (XL).

They fit me fine....

I agree with others...Buy rather than rent...Fin fit is important to comfortability.

I have size 10 1/2 EEE feet and have found Mares fins to have wide foot pockets. I can wear bulky dry suit boots in my XL Mares Avanti fins with no problems and they also work very well with 5mm wet suit boots with just a little more snugging up on the strap. Genesis sells the same fin as the Aquaflex.

The original US Divers Blades also have very wide foot pockets. The classic Scubapro jet fins also have reasonably wide pockets although you will probaly need size XL fins to get adequate width.

I can also tell you that not all boots are created equal. Some of the more walk freindly boots made lately with a higher sole and more support can severely aggravate the cramp situation if you have wide feet. Stick with simple boots without any kind of build up around the edge of the boot. I have used Deep See for my last few pairs and they work well.

Personal Fins were the first real piece of "gear" that I bought, sure I got a mask and snorkle (which got lost quite quickly) but the fins really add to the experience, they define your pleaseure in the water as they control how you move.

I would suggest making the investment, I went for Force Fins the classic's and the bonus is they are short in length so good for travelling.

=-)

My local LDS has the aqualung Blades 2 on offer...in XXL!!
Are these also pretty wide models?

I have size 45/11

The Blades 2 are a substantiually differnent fin from the original Blade and are not sized the same in terms of width. I really prefer my Mares Plana Avanti fins over my Blades and they would make a better choice. The Avanti tracks better though the water and has a more stable feel to it, particularly with a frog kick.

Back
Top Bottom