Sources of CO in compressed air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Apologies if this is not the correct group for this posting. I'm curious what real-world experiences people have had with CO contamination in their tanks.

My understanding for compressors run by electric motors, CO contamination can come from poorly maintained equipment (old oil / old filters) or having the intake poorly placed (sucking in car/smoke/whatever).

If we could exclude the poor placement of the intake, is it really possible to get CO without having the air taste 'funky' ? If the shop is doing partial-pressure blending of EAN, wouldn't that preclude this type of contamination?

Consider that a high pressure compressor is a diesel engine without fuel. Add a little fuel in the form of oil and you could get CO.

.... is it really possible to get CO without having the air taste 'funky' ?

Yes.​bbbbb

is it really possible to get CO without having the air taste 'funky' ?

Of course. If it tasted "funky" then we would not have had the incidents we have had among extremely experienced divers who have been sickened or died from CO contamination.

Hot weather
Intake restriction
Filter restriction

All can lead to high compressor temps which can cause the oil to flash and kinda "smolder" which generates CO.

Of all the hundreds of divers I have been and are friends with, I have never heard once of someone getting CO or knowing of someone who got CO in a tank.

Until I read Scubaboard, I had never actually heard of anyone getting CO in a tank apart from being sucked in from a petrol engine exhaust.

Of all the hundreds of divers I have been and are friends with, I have never heard once of someone getting CO or knowing of someone who got CO in a tank.

Until I read Scubaboard, I had never actually heard of anyone getting CO in a tank apart from being sucked in from a petrol engine exhaust.
You are not very close to Mexico....

<snip>
If we could exclude the poor placement of the intake, is it really possible to get CO without having the air taste 'funky' ? If the shop is doing partial-pressure blending of EAN, wouldn't that preclude this type of contamination?

Partial-pressure blending of EAN involves initially filling with O2 (then topping with Air). Hydrocarbon contamination and / or poor O2 filling technique - could result in combustion and combustion by-products.

Bjorn

Partial-pressure blending of EAN involves initially filling with O2 (then topping with Air). Hydrocarbon contamination and / or poor O2 filling technique - could result in combustion and combustion by-products.

Bjorn

Interesting question, CO "normally" forms with incomplete combustion. In an O2 rich environment, wouldn't things tend to go to CO2 plus a raft of burned hydrocarbon byproducts? Wouldn't this be terribly obvious to the folks filling the tank and the poor person breathing the gas?

Carbon Monoxide « Rob Neto

I had a buddy die on a dive and had to pull his body out of the cave after he breathed CO. Since then I've tested every single cylinder I breathe from and make sure my buddies and students also test theirs. I have had positive CO readings in 2 different locations in the world (not both Mexico). Neither was high enough to require not diving but any reading is of concern. I also know of a couple of positive CO findings in Florida. It isn't widespread, but it's there. And my life is worth more than the $150 it costs to buy a CO analyzer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom