South Florida GREEN ALGAE ALERT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I urge divers to visit http://reef-rescue.org/ and sign the petition which is linked at the bottom of that page.

There's only 946 signatures so far... I bet SB'ers can pump that up.

If we don't step up to save our reefs, who will? Where will we dive then???

That is a nasty, nasty bloom. Thanks for all you are doing to bring this to the attention of those that can make a difference!

This is very sad. Hubby and I just visited WPB in December, and reefs were beautiful and full of life. It appears that the algea bloom has completely taken over, fish are gone, and it's sad. We were planning on a return trip to WPB in August, so I called the dive op to ask about some dive sites and if they were affected... the sad answer was "yes, pretty much all the reefs are covered." Looks like we may take our vacation elsewhere now. :(

Thanks to everyone who is working to get the word out to the county, EPA, and such. I certainly hope that the algea clears up and the reefs can recover.

Petition was signed by myself and my husband.

erparamedic:
This is very sad. Hubby and I just visited WPB in December, and reefs were beautiful and full of life. It appears that the algea bloom has completely taken over, fish are gone, and it's sad. We were planning on a return trip to WPB in August, so I called the dive op to ask about some dive sites and if they were affected... the sad answer was "yes, pretty much all the reefs are covered." Looks like we may take our vacation elsewhere now. :(

Thanks to everyone who is working to get the word out to the county, EPA, and such. I certainly hope that the algea clears up and the reefs can recover.

Petition was signed by myself and my husband.

Check with different operations. The algae bloom is covering reef from Deerfield to Delray. Other places are fine. I have not heard (nor has anyone reported) a smothering bloom as far north as WPB.

howarde:
Check with different operations. The algae bloom is covering reef from Deerfield to Delray. Other places are fine. I have not heard (nor has anyone reported) a smothering bloom as far north as WPB.

I spoke to a person from a charter that runs out of WPB and that was the report he gave me.

I specifically asked about sites such as the Flower Gardens, 2nd Window, and the Trench, and he said it's covered over.

So... is there anyone else that dives the WPB area that could give a report?

Latest update is:

There is still some coverage of the "third reef" between the Hillsboro Inlet, and the Boca Inlet.
(@ erparamedic - I have not heard anything about this bloom extending as far north as WPB)

There is less algae than there was 2 months ago, but it's still lingering.

I spoke to the director of Reef Rescue, and he told me that the lab analysis of the algae should be available in a week or 2. All indications point to a fresh or brackish water type of algae.

I'm working on the possibility of an e-mail campaign to FL legislators who may listen, and snap to action if enough people make noise about this.

I just signed it and our blue algae bloom in the northern part of the Florida bay has finally started dissipating

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom