South Florida GREEN ALGAE ALERT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Has anyone else noticed the carpet of green algae from South of Boca Raton (Deerfield) to North of Boynton Beach (lantana)? We did a reef dive near the United Caribbean wreck, and it was carpeted.

I am hearing this is from the sewage treatment plants? Some action should be done! The reef we visited was usually teeming with life, and this dive, it was covered with green, and had very little activity!

Here's what it looked like in Boca.

DSC_0053.jpg

eel-algae.jpg

stingray.jpg

chip-algaereef.jpg

With the exception of that stingray, it looks just like the lake diving we do. I don't think tha algea is coming from the sewage, but huge nutrient load in the discharge is allowing the algea to bloom.

Quite sad.

Comrade Stroke

Here's what the same area looked like a month ago.
reefscene2.jpg

Howard... We had a similar experience with filamentous algae dominating our rocky reefs this summer when the giant kelp died out. I think the mechanism in our case was quite different, but I feel your pain. It sure can transform a beautiful ecosystem into something rather ugly. Ours has cleared up with the return of colder water. Don't know what it will take in your case. If it is a pulse in nutrients, hopefully they will dissipate in time and the reef return to a more healthy state.

I don't really know what is the cause. Some people here say it happens every year. All I know is that it is moving south (toward us) and it covers more than 15 miles of reef already. IF the sewage treatment plants are the cause, shouldn't something be done?

That really sucks, Howard. Like Dr. Bill says we've got our own algae infestation going on over here.

Hey Dr Bill .... I've noticed this stuff too, recently. Went out on the Sundiver a couple weekends ago (Mar 3) and hit Long Point/ Pirates Cove, Torqua Springs and Henrock. That slimy green algae as all over the place ... especially at Henrock. Is this the same invasive Asian algae that you've posted about ?

A couple weekends prior to that, I has an a trip that went out to Farnsworth. Afterward, we did dives near the West End - Eagle Nest and Indian Rock. I don't recall encountering this stuff at any of these sites.

I was planning on bringing gear when visiting Mom in N. Broward next month, but now I wonder if I should bother. I will check back here before packing.

Is this stuff in anyway related to the red algae that had appeared in the past? Is it related to depth at all?

The usual suspect is nitrates from sewage and runoff. The sewage can be treated to reduce nitrates, this would be the 3rd step in the treatment process which many towns and cities just do not want to pay for.

But, one of the major sources, if not the major, is run off from farms and lawn chemicals. How many golf courses you have in the area? How much fertilizer are they putting on the grass right now? How about yourself, do you have Chem Lawn stop by every month?

riguerin:
That really sucks, Howard. Like Dr. Bill says we've got our own algae infestation going on over here.

Hey Dr Bill .... I've noticed this stuff too, recently. Went out on the Sundiver a couple weekends ago (Mar 3) and hit Long Point/ Pirates Cove, Torqua Springs and Henrock. That slimy green algae as all over the place ... especially at Henrock. Is this the same invasive Asian algae that you've posted about ?

A couple weekends prior to that, I has an a trip that went out to Farnsworth. Afterward, we did dives near the West End - Eagle Nest and Indian Rock. I don't recall encountering this stuff at any of these sites.

Yes, Hen Rock has really been covered with it... rocky reef, sandy bottom and even the poor critters I've tried to film. It may be somewhat restricted to warmer water dive sites like Hen Rock, and I have seen it in previous years but it seems pretty pronounced.

Howard, nutrient enrichment is certainly a strong possibility but it could be other factors (even naturally occuring ones) which caused it to bloom this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom