South Maui Shore Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving with Ed Robinson's for over 10 years and recommend them highly. The reason they don't say where they're going for their dives, is that it changes based on ocean conditions, diver experience, diver requests, etc. A typical 2-tank charter does 1-tank at Molokini and the second somewhere off the S. Maui shoreline.

You won't go wrong diving with Mike Severns, I've always heard good things about them, though it's one of the few operations I haven't gone out with.

Oh, and theres no such place as "Turtle Town." It's anywhere the snorkel operators take people along the Maui shoreline, and normally considered a joke among dive operators.

Just figured I would update this thread with our new schedule. Based on information through this website and some generous offers, it will now look like this:

Saturday, July 1
Dive 1: DiveMaven generously offered to guide us around Makena Landing, so we will be doing a morning dive with her at that location.
We will potentially do another unguided dive in the late morning or early afternoon, but that is uncertain at this point.
Dive 2: We will be joining Maui Dreams Dive Co. on a guided night dive of Makena Landing (the dive site is decided that night, but they said it often ends up being Makena).

Wednesday, July 5
Dive 3 and 4: Going with Mike Severns Diving

Friday, July 7
Dive 5 and 6: Going with Mike Severns Diving

Saturday, July 8
Dive 7: Unguided shore dive of Mala Pier
Dive 8: Unguided shore dive of Old Airport Beach
Dive 9: If my fiance is comfortable with it, we'll go back to Mala Pier for an unguided night dive. Seems like this is one of the simplest places to navigate, and as long as their is no significant current, we'll be able to do it.

Thanks again for everyone's help. We can't wait!

A good 2nd dive after Makena is Polo Beach esp. since you're staying on it. I also liked the south point of Wailea Beach but we stayed nearby so it was convenient. Someone I knew who regularly dove that area said Polo is the better dive.

The legal entry at Mala is the harder one to the left. Don't go in on the right under the boat channel as that's a ticket if the DNLR agent sees you.

Towing a flag is the rule but we never have. If you want to, shops rent them.

At Old Airport head sort of s/w from the beach and you might find the old sugar ship loading area (look for the abandoned poles (masts?) Check the junk in the area for octo's - we even saw one moving around in daylight.

Last edited:
A good 2nd dive after Makena is Polo Beach esp. since you're staying on it. I also liked the south point of Wailea Beach but we stayed nearby so it was convenient. Someone I knew who regularly dove that area said Polo is the better dive.

The legal entry at Mala is the harder one to the left. Don't go in on the right under the boat channel as that's a ticket if the DNLR agent sees you.

Towing a flag is the rule but we never have. If you want to, shops rent them.

At Old Airport head sort of s/w from the beach and you might find the old sugar ship loading area (look for the abandoned poles (masts?) Check the junk in the area for octo's - we even saw one moving around in daylight.

Polo Beach is a definite possibility if we decide to do a dive after Makena in the morning.

Thanks for the info on where to enter and potential octopus sites! We can't wait for these dives.

We did a dive trip to Maui about four years ago with 7 of us from our club. Two-a-day all week. On Thursday, when trying to decide on our last dive of the week (did some sight seeing on Friday) we all unanimously agreed to do Mala Pier again. What a great dive. My wife and I ended up out toward the deeper end and saw 6 full-grown reef sharks. Awesome to see and got some good video.
We are going back to Maui July 17-27 and will definitely hit it at least once. My wife is not huge on night diving, but I bet I could get my son out there, that would be awesome.

Last edited:
Scott T, the Maui Diamond II is doing a dusk/night charter on July 20 if you're interested in doing a guided night dive, or your wife would be more comfortable knowing it's guided.

(I started typing before I realized you'd already made the trip, but I wanted to post my remarks anyway for the next person.)

You made an excellent choice with Mike Severns. Pauline and the rest of her team are fantastic, and their genuine enthusiasm and knowledge shine through. You'll learn something while you're having a great time. We've dived with them several times, and enjoyed Molokini every time. You won't be disappointed going twice on the same vacation, and it's entirely likely you'll be at two different mooring balls.

I'd go tomorrow if I were there and they had room on the boat.

I think 5 Graves is a bit much for a new diver without a guide for entry and exit. It definitely helps to have someone who understands the right timing and foot placement there. It's not advanced, but it's not trivial for your first few dives on your own.

Meeting up with DiveMaven was a great idea -- and definitely a generous offer.

We stay in west Maui right on Old Airport. That's definitely beginner-friendly, and a night dive there or at Black Rock is fine. It's a full 45-minute drive for you, though.

Last edited:
(I started typing before I realized you'd already made the trip, but I wanted to post my remarks anyway for the next person.)

You made an excellent choice with Mike Severns. Pauline and the rest of her team are fantastic, and their genuine enthusiasm and knowledge shine through. You'll learn something while you're having a great time. We've dived with them several times, and enjoyed Molokini every time. You won't be disappointed going twice on the same vacation, and it's entirely likely you'll be at two different mooring balls.

I'd go tomorrow if I were there and they had room on the boat.

I think 5 Graves is a bit much for a new diver without a guide for entry and exit. It definitely helps to have someone who understands the right timing and foot placement there. It's not advanced, but it's not trivial for your first few dives on your own.

Meeting up with DiveMaven was a great idea -- and definitely a generous offer.

We stay in west Maui right on Old Airport. That's definitely beginner-friendly, and a night dive there or at Black Rock is fine. It's a full 45-minute drive for you, though.

I've been meaning to write up a trip report, but just haven't gotten around to it. I figured I would just respond to this thread with the basics. We ended up only doing 5 dives because we had so much else going on.

DiveMaven was awesome! We met up with her at Makena Landing on our first morning in Maui. The dive at Makena was really cool, especially being our first ocean dive after the first 12 were in a Virginia quarry. DiveMaven showed us a lot of things that we wouldn't have seen if we had done it on our own, including some tiny little eels that stick their heads out of the sand. We peeked into a few of the caves, but only stayed around the entrance. All around, it was a great dive and an excellent way to be introduced to the ocean. We can't thank DiveMaven enough!!!

Our second dive was a night dive back at Makena Landing. There was a surprising lack of life during that dive. We went with a guide from Maui Dreams Dive Co., and he was fantastic, but the dive was underwhelming. The highlight of that dive for me was seeing a minuscule, translucent jelly fish that just happened to float right in front of my face.

Our next two dives were a few days later with Mike Severns. AJ was our guide and we both really liked her. She was super knowledgeable about the local marine life. Her briefs were quite involved, going over all the different things we might see, which we both enjoyed. The first dive was at Molokini Crater. This was our least favorite dive of the trip. We saw a few really cool things, such as a Fire Dart Fish, a "garden" of Garden Eels, and a Conger Eel, but in general, the dive site was pretty barren regarding life.

The second dive site with Mike Severns was a site called "Tank and Landing", which is a sunken WWII Tank and a Landing Craft about 100 yards apart. We enjoyed this site much more than Molokini. There was a lot of life around and in between each site. Some of what we saw included two Mantis Shrimp, a Harlequin Shrimp, two big Morays, and Cleaner Shrimp that got all of our fingernails and my teeth :) There were a bunch of schooling fish, but I have no idea what they were.

Our last dive was at Mala Pier, and it was AWESOME! Mala was, by far, our favorite dive of the week. The walk from shore to where it was deep enough to swim was pretty brutal, especially for my buddy who was wearing soft-soled booties. She was regretting the dive before we even descended, but once it was over she was raving about how the terrible entry was worth it. There was so much to see at Mala. We saw massive schools of fish directly underneath the pier, a turtle cleaning station with 5 or 6 turtles waiting their turn, Box Fish, two sharks (I think they were White Tips - highlight of the dive for me), Gobies, and plenty more. It was a great way to end our diving in Maui.

All around it was a great trip and we can't wait to go back!

A few pictures from a camera we rented for Mala Pier:
IMG_0652 (Edited).jpg

IMG_0653 (Edited).jpg
IMG_0655 (Edited).jpg

What a great thread, thanks to Capsfan22 for starting it and to all who responded. I'm headed to Maui in April and this is so helpful! (Did she say yes?)

What a great thread, thanks to Capsfan22 for starting it and to all who responded. I'm headed to Maui in April and this is so helpful! (Did she say yes?)

She said yes! Thanks for asking :)

I'm jealous you're going to Maui; we've been missing it every day.

Mala Pier is a MUST do. One thing I didn't mention, we did a lot of snorkeling at the beach outside our hotel, Polo Beach. It was absolutely amazing! We spent hour upon hour snorkeling up the coast between Polo Beach and the Grand Wailea's beach. After our trip, we have commented numerous times that we wished we had dove that area as well. It was that good. It is so full of life, it's unbelievable. It's also very, very easy.

Have a great trip!

Back
Top Bottom