SP-350 UW Macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not in the ttl camp. I think having manual controls on a strobe are more than enough to get you where you need to be. If the strobe has ttl and the housing works with it - great! It's another tool. But not having ttl isn't a deal breaker for me at all.

I like the Inon strobes - light, small, AA batteries, good coverage. I've used them with various Olympus and Canon compacts and with my current DSLR set up.

Ike also does great strobes - the 125 is probably the most versatile as you grow.

Steve, where were you diving? I'll be in Maui the end of October.

Leo -

SeaYoda and LarryC use or used those. I believe that while they may work sometimes, neither would go that route again...I could be wrong and I don't mean to put words in their mouths - that's just the impression I get...

I've used a Inon strobe on manual slave with my SP-350 and had some great results. I've ordered a Inon D2000 and look forward to using it soon. I believe it has TTL - details here. Ike stobes are also well liked and provide TTL with ike housings.

Not sure if I need TTL: I'll find out in 2 weeks time when I play with it. Sure do need a focus light though...

Cheers,
Rohan.

jazzhawk:
How about the Sunpak G-flash stroke?
Anyone use this?

The Sunpak is actually a nice set-up for the price. It has lots of power, and OK coverage. My first Sunpak failed after the first weekend. They replaced it for me. The second one has a much less sensitive slave sensor. It has failed to fire frequently. I ended up getting a fiber optic cable, which is a pain-it gets in the way, and the little hole in the velcro has to be positioned just right. Others have had similar experiences. The other knock on the Sunpack is the battery door. Some have had flooding issues. It takes great care to make sure it is perfect each time you install it. In defense, I know someone who just spent hundreds of dollars in repair because the battery door on his YS-90 failed, probably due to a snagged O-ring. If I had it to do again, I would spend the extra bucks for a high quality strobe such as the Inon D-2000, Ikelite DS-125 or Sea and Sea YS-90 or above.

Thanks for the info Larry. I just got the SP350 and the PT030 housing. I was actually looking around and narrowed it down to those 3 strobes you mentioned at the end of your post and the Inon Z240. The only one I have experience with is a Sea and Sea. I have an old YS50 for my MMII and really liked it. Can anyone give any feedback on the pros and cons between the Inon D2000 or Z240, Ike DS125 and Sea and Sea YS 90? I'm having a hard time deciding and I need to pull the trigger soon, so I can get in the water and get some practice before I go to the Similans. I would like to get a strobe that I can still use when I upgrade and finally house my Nikon D70.

Thanks guys for your replies on the strokes. I'm using PT030 housing, so I believe any of the strokes suggested will be able to be used with this housing, right.

Cheers
Leo

Back
Top Bottom