SP-350 UW Macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know what the minimum focal distance is for the underwater macro setting?

Thanks. I have the manual and looked online, but was using the preset underwater scene setting of UW Macro. The normal Macro setting allows use of the zoom, where the UW does not so has a fixed focus distance. Based on the info and some experience with out of focus shots, I think it's safe to assume it is 7.9".

For practical purposes, figure you can UW macro down to about 1 foot. The zoom does work and focus in macro mode. UW macro is useful for most shots from 1-3 ft. Eventually, you'll get off the presets and go to full manual in "MyMode". The SMacro won't work with the internal flash (the lens masks the flash, making a shadow). You can get it to fire in "slave" mode, or you can shoot natural light. A strong dive light will also work, but make sure you raise your shutter speed. Without the strobe effect of the flash, dive light pictures will tend to blur out because the camera will set them at about 1/30 on auto settings below about 40 ft.

Thanks Larry. I appreciate it. I found I had several out of focus shots from the Caymans becasue I was too close, and could not see the LCD well enough to know. The good news was the wife saw my disappointment and gave me the OK for a strobe. Now I get to look over all the opinions about those. DS-125 certainly would be great, but hard to justify a strobe thats twice what I paid for the camera/housing. Of course, it will work with a DSLR........and so it begins.

Speaking of what strobe to use, when using the PT-030 housing, what are the choices one has?

Any comments or suggestions?

You can use any slave strobe. If you want ttl, you can get the Oly FL-20 and housing, but I can't recommend it. It's not real strong and has a very narrow beam. You can also get the Heinrich-Wiekamps bulkhead replacement, which will allow you to shoot ttl with a Nikonos cable connection to a non Oly strobe. I think Inon has a S-ttl strobe that acts like a slave, but reads the camera preflash. I don't know if the Ikelite controller will work with the Oly housing or not. I think Ikelite also has a pull through cable for the Oly housing that replaces the standard bulkhead fitting and allows you to hardwire their strobe.

Larry C:
You can use any slave strobe. If you want ttl, you can get the Oly FL-20 and housing, but I can't recommend it. It's not real strong and has a very narrow beam. You can also get the Heinrich-Wiekamps bulkhead replacement, which will allow you to shoot ttl with a Nikonos cable connection to a non Oly strobe. I think Inon has a S-ttl strobe that acts like a slave, but reads the camera preflash. I don't know if the Ikelite controller will work with the Oly housing or not. I think Ikelite also has a pull through cable for the Oly housing that replaces the standard bulkhead fitting and allows you to hardwire their strobe.

Damn! I am not sure which way to go. How much better is TTL versus a slave.

My goal is
1) TTL (I think)
2) Easy connection
3) Bracket that will attach both housing and flash without any issues

Back
Top Bottom