sp-350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wannabedivin

Registered
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting into UW photography for a very long time. I had originally planned on getting the C-7070 but as everyone knows has been discontinued. I am now looking at the sp-350 and the oly cas (PT-030?). I really like the extra large view screen on the back. I don't believe it has been shipped yet, but does anybocy have any thoughts on this camera and suggested strobe.

Don't know anyone using this system. I'd start by looking at www.dpreview.com and maybe over at www.wetpixel.com - there might be some early birds there, too!

I look forward to hearing about what you find out and what you think about this rig!

i just got the camera. The housing is still not shipping. After one day with it, I can say I like everything except for the fact in full manual mode, the screen will go dark as you select faster speeds. If I were trying to take a micro shot and don't want the background, I would set the camera for 250 @ f8. With this setting the screen is black.
I have looked in the 'Advanced Manual' but I don't see anything on this. In any other setting mode the screen stays bright.

This could be a 'deal buster' for underwater.

On the plus side, the screen is much larger than the 5050 to 8080s. The write speed in RAW as been improved (photoshop does not have a RAW converter yet).

The camera is very small! Very travel friendly, but at the cost of dropping the CF cards. Only XD is used.
The slave mode is here so that there is no preflash delay when using fiber links to strobes.
If I get fix the dark screen, I think I may like this setup.

wannabedivin:
Thanks and let me know if and when you find a solution to the dark screen

Here is an email I got from Olympus:
Thank you for purchasing our new SP-350 camera. The
situation you were refering to is not a problem. Our engineers decided to
put deth of field feature in the "M" mode so that you can preview how much
info you can see as you increase the shuttle speed. This allows the
photographer to use a flash as an option to make sure that you will get
good image with every shot rather than gussing each shot.

So as you can see, shooting blind is a feature.
Maybe if enough people email Olympus asking them to cancel this feature they will listen.
Anyway... I am now looking for a 7070 setup. I wish it had the big screen, and better write time, but at least I will be able to see what I am shooting at.

LOL.. shooting in the blind.. . geesh, what'll they think of next..
Maybe one of those "De-focusing Photos" where you just stare at it until you starting seeing somethings... how kewl is that eh??

I think the new magic-eye view finder will catch on quickly - if you look through it long enough the "real" picture will POP for you (3D too). :D

I spoke with OLY today and there response to this issue was that there is no way to overide this "Feature". But if you depress the shutter release button half way, you will be able to see the image for about three seconds

I just bought a used 7070. I'll be using that for the time being.
I am working on a letter to send to Olympus that first lists all the things I like about the 350 (there are many) then then brings up the show stopper of not being able to see what i am shooting at. Once I get that done i'll post it along with the contact I am sending it to. If we can get a lot of people to write to them, we may be able to get an update. btw - if you hold the shutter half way you get about 1/2 second of lighted view before it goes black again. no way is it 3 seconds.
next stop Belize

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom