sp-350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a UR Pro green water filter when I first got the camera (46mm). With flash, you get a very red shot. In natural light, between the dark water and the filter, your camera is going to drop to something like f2.8@1/30 unless you crank the ISO way up. I haven't tried it since I've practiced more with the camera settings, but if you look at my gallery, the emerald green shots at 70 feet at Hopkins by the Monterey aquarium were all done with the green filter. They'll be the Metridium, sea stars and anemones toward the end of the gallery. I had a lot of problems with blur due to heavy surge that day and the slow shutter speed due to low light. I might try it again now that I know what I'm doing. I'd certainly stay above 40 feet if you want decent shots.

Larry,
I talked with Olympus and plan to download the firmware as suggested. They only sell Ni-MH2100 and Ni-Mh2300 AA batteries and not a re-chargable CR-V3 which would require a different type of charger, so where can I find a re-chargable CR-V3 as you suggest? I currently have the Olympus Quick charger and 4 Ni-MH2100 AA batteries. I would get a set of the Ni-MH2300 batteries if they would deliver extra long life.

donblume:
Larry,
I talked with Olympus and plan to download the firmware as suggested. They only sell Ni-MH2100 and Ni-Mh2300 AA batteries and not a re-chargable CR-V3 which would require a different type of charger, so where can I find a re-chargable CR-V3 as you suggest? I currently have the Olympus Quick charger and 4 Ni-MH2100 AA batteries. I would get a set of the Ni-MH2300 batteries if they would deliver extra long life.
Cheap 2600 mAh batteries

I'm still looking for a good rechargeable CR-V3 myself. I have seen some on ebay...

BTW - My replacement 350 came today. Bought it at Buydig for $200 after rebate.

I got my CRV-3 rechargeable at Radioshack. 1 battery, 1 charger, 1 car adaptor for an outrageous $59.95. It seems to work well. Sterlingtek sells them on line @ $19.95 for the charger and $9.95 for 2 batteries, but I don't know what the capacity is. Nominally, it seemed lower than mine. I have had really good luck with them before but I wanted a battery now (the day I bought the camera) so I went and found one locally. There are a number of other suppliers online. Just google CRV-3 rechargeable.

I personally use the Energizer 2500mah batteries with the energizer charger.
Works great, inexpensive and I can get between 500-600 shots before needing recharging with my camera..

steve (bwphoto), what you think about both camera you have, sp 350 and c 7070, wich one do you think the best...according to the sales at the store in my town, c 7070 now discontinued...is there any lack of this type? i think c series more professional than sp series..

I have been using the SP-350 on the surface for a few months. I like the camera. Its very portable (fits in my pant pocket), and the images are clear and sharp, with good color.
I finally had a chance to use it underwater during the Avalon Clean Up.
I was experimenting using the camera with no strobe and setting the manual white balance. The good news is that the white balance works really well, but the bad news is that I had to up the ISO rating to get the shots, thus degrading the overall quality of the images.
I mounted a flashlight on the hotshoe bracket, and used that for a focusing light. It worked well, unless I got the spot in the picture. I need to put a defuser on the light to get rid of the hot spot. With the light, the focus was quick, and the view finder bright.

My favorite shot is http://www.kewlpics.net/stevea/catalinacleanup06/pages/P2250423.htm

As to which I like better, the 7070 or the sp-350? I think that overall I like the 7070, but that could be because I have spent more time underwater with it. The 7070 has more wide angle coverage.
But the 350 has that fantastic preview screen. By the way, turning off the histogram does allow you to use the screen in manual mode. It still darkens, but it still bright enough to be useful. I will be diving with the 350 again in a couple of weeks, this time with the strobes.

I like the 350 enough that I would not be devastated if I lost the 7070. I'll post about my next dive, using it in my more 'normal' mode.

Steve...

btw - I will be helping to teach the new PADI Digital Photagraphy class starting 3/25 at the Rancho Sport Chalet (for those in SO CAL).
The new course is MUCH better than the old one. they have made many changes to content can focus.
Steve...

Back
Top Bottom