Sp-590uz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtxl1200

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I've done a search on this model in several different variations, on this board. Every time it comes up with zero results. Is there a reason no one is discussing this camera? I'm very interested in it. Mostley I would like to know if there are plans for a housing for it? Olympus doesnt mention it. Ikelite. doesnt mention it. There isnt even a discussion from people saying this camera is Junk. Not one mention of this camera. If the sp360 is so great. Wouldnt this one be better? I have seen that they will not be making a housing for the sp570. They make one for the sp565. I want to upgrade but I would like to get the most for my money. I guess if no one knows anything about this particular model. I might have to give more consideration to the cannon G10. Anyone? good? bad? Ugly? on the sp-590uz.

Never even heard of it. I have the 560 and I love it.

The Sp-590uz is a brand new model. Olympus doesn't mention an underwater housing on their website. This probably means they aren't going to make a housing for it.

However, check to see if there are any preset underwater modes. If they include underwater scene modes, then they will probably make a housing. Ikelite will often wait to see if there is enough demand for a particular camera model, before going through the trouble to manufacture a housing.

These super zoom cameras don't lend themselves well to underwater photography. Their lenses extend pretty far out. If a manufacturer accomodates the lens extension, nevermind telephoto is not used much underwater, then the wide angle lens won't be close enough to the housing's port. These cameras don't have hotshoes or PC connectors, so TTL isn't possible either.

Sadly, the G-10 might be a better option.

The Sp-590uz is a brand new model. Olympus doesn't mention an underwater housing on their website. This probably means they aren't going to make a housing for it.

However, check to see if there are any preset underwater modes. If they include underwater scene modes, then they will probably make a housing. Ikelite will often wait to see if there is enough demand for a particular camera model, before going through the trouble to manufacture a housing.

These super zoom cameras don't lend themselves well to underwater photography. Their lenses extend pretty far out. If a manufacturer accomodates the lens extension, nevermind telephoto is not used much underwater, then the wide angle lens won't be close enough to the housing's port. These cameras don't have hotshoes or PC connectors, so TTL isn't possible either.

Sadly, the G-10 might be a better option.

I looked but didnt see anything about a hot shoe. I think those are starting to get extinct on P/s Cameras. for a few dollars more I can get a e520. But wow the Housing cost to much. Then you have to buy a lens port. That pretty much takes any amature photographer out of the market. So yeah Im thinking G-10. Then You have the option of the OEM housing with fiber optic or ikelite with true TTL for your strobe.

The Sp-590uz is a brand new model.

It's been out since January, so we're already halfway to its replacement.

These super zoom cameras don't lend themselves well to underwater photography.

Amen. The OW manual clearly states "water absorbs light." If you can't get close enough to use 3x zoom, forget it.

the G-10 might be a better option.

Much to like, but ever since I saw such recommendations here, I haven't had the money. Now that I'm getting a hefty tax rebate, I've been doing some serious looking. Today's find: the Tough 6000. Much better for my needs. And budget.

Truth time: Out of the water, I use the 18x SP-560UZ, so won't be in the market for a zoom camera till next year.

These super zoom cameras don't lend themselves well to underwater photography. Their lenses extend pretty far out. If a manufacturer accomodates the lens extension, nevermind telephoto is not used much underwater, then the wide angle lens won't be close enough to the housing's port.

I've read this argument many times and it just doesn't hold water...pardon the pun. I've scored 9's (highest score) in local competitions with this camera.
BubbleCoralShrimp.jpg

Ribboneellevelssharpenedsatcompsize.jpg

BandedCoralShrimpcroppedlevelscolor.jpg

Clown2croppedclonedsaturationsharpe.jpg

As JimC said in an e-mail to me "It's not the bow and arrow, it's the Indian that counts"

Great work fairybasslet !!!!

Thank you for your kind comments. I have some wide angles too, taken with this camera. They aren't the greatest but they ain't that bad. I really think this camera gets a bad rap from people who have never used it. Based on the intellectual argument that the lens is not close to the port, and you do want the least amount of water between the subject and your lens, it is a valid argument. I just don't see it making that much of a difference. But of course, I do this for fun, not for profit.
BlissinYellowBlue.jpg

Eagleraytiltedcompetitionsize.jpg

Yes, many people can get awesome results with that style camera. I will point out however that I was considering a new Olympus to replace my 5060WZ but the new model used a very slow memory card system. Check dpreview for save times and an overall review.

The only time that I saw the lag as a problem was shooting sea lions in Galapagos. I really needed an SLR for that. BTW, I was taught to format the memory card, rather than deleting images. Your card will write faster that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom