SP MK25/S600 Freezeups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

your the man deepscuba
If you get to www.holox.com >technical information> dew points it gets to be quite a eye opener going from say -30 to-80 even in F. Hey a canuke and a pollack a force to recon with!!!:doctor:

The explanations above by genesis are outsanding and very educational. We should all heed them.

My own experience with a S600 freeflowing was when diving in below 40 degree water. Was diving double 80s; At 80 feet it the S600 free flowed. I began an ascent breathing out of the regulator. Then I went to my S550 while looking into the S600. I saw ice inside the mouthpiece. I turned offthe double where the S600 was connected to.

At 30 feet, I turned the tank on and there was no free flow. The ice had melted.

Subsequently I made the same dives without a problem. BUT, I increased the inhalation resistance on the S600 AND really tried to take slow deep breaths.

Hope this helps.

Jeez, and to think I almost didn't see myself being called "The Man"!!!

Thanks pal!!

I have no clue about such things, and Genesis, I didn't understand your last post at all.

All I ever say is, what works, works. OR in this case if it continually freezes up on you folks, but not us mountain of people in even colder water, then

What's up???

What's the difference??? There is one, whether we know it or not, so lets find it.

I guess what I thought IS why.

So lets not blame the Regs, but rather the moist air. Cause we don't have a problem up here in ICE-Land.

Thanks Quimby.

Genesis, I didn't understand your last post at all.

If there is moisture in the gas, then it will freeze INTERNALLY. That is, if the gas is not dry enough, then the moisture in the gas itself will freeze the reg INTERNALLY (not through freezing the ambient water) and the ice so formed will jam the mechanism.

The fix for that, of course, is don't use gas that has moisture in it. Its bad for other reasons, like rusting the inside of your tanks (if you have steels) as well.

If the Scubapro piston reg can operate in cold water why is SP so defensive about this issue? Why do reports of the problem by respected dive magazines persist? Why does Scubapro make numerous trivial engineering changes and claim that the problem is solved? What is the problem that was solved, the one that they claimed did not exist in the first place?

My personal reg is a SP piston type but I would not dive it in cold water.

Aside: I agree with Genesis regarding the MK 10.

I was at the Wabank Lake (Quarry) this past weekend in 39-40 degree fresh water at around 100 feet. My MK25 s600 started to give me the slight "hiss" sound indicating the beginning of a free flow at around 90 feet. I know this sound and listen for it, having had free flows with these regs. I turned the adjustment knob on the s600 all the way down and the slight hiss stopped. It had been about half open when it started. I did not try the R380 or hit the purge button of either reg. to furhter test them.

When I have had free flows in the past (a double s600/r380 free flow in this same quarry last year), the adjustment knob made no difference. That is one of the reasons that made me believe the free flows had been 1st stage free flows.

In this case, it seems to have been the second stage sensitivity.

Regarding the moist air comments, I believe the air/nitrox that I get from my lds is "dry" within the specifications.

Back
Top Bottom