SP MK25/S600 Freezeups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have made about 300 dives with a Mk 20 and later a Mk 25 over the last 3 yrs and have had no problems with freeze ups. Bottom temps run from the upper 30's to mid 40's as the season progresses. IP is 134 in my MK 20 and 136 in my Mk 25.

Someone pointed out in another post the possibility of differences in adibatic cooling between high and low pressure tanks. I have used steel 72's at 2250 psi or 2475 psi and have had no problems while a dive buddy has had frequent freeze ups with his Mk 25 AF using 3000 psi tanks on the same dives with me. This observation would seem to support the possibility that the greater adibatic cooling caused by the increased drop in pressure with a 3000 psi tank aggravates the freeze situation with the marginally effective TIS system in cold water.

I am just curious what tanks the people who are or are not freezing up are using and whether there could be a pattern here.

Ahhhh now we're getting some balance :)

Oh yes, like I've said elsewhere (but I think not here), I use LP104's, but regularly (OK always) dive with them cranked to 3300 PSI.

I use E8-130s, frequently pumped to 37-3800 psi. No problems yet down to 43 degrees with this setup. Prior to that, I Was using faber 3300psi 72 cft tanks. I've been down to 38 degrees with that setup.

I had my free flows with Pressed Steel HP 100s (3500PSI). As I noted previously in this post, I noticed the free flows in 42 degree F and colder (one at around 100 feet).

At this point, for me its just beating a "dead horse". I am extremely happy with my Poseidons and probably will buy another set this winter. Then I can use my scubaho's for pony bottles and my argon system.

I'm just a poor old dude who used a lot of what is considered "junk" old regulators and did a lot of it in below 45 degree water and never had a freeze up.
there was always a lot of ice dives being done and the only freezing was the diaphrams as they bounced at the surface. Now I may be well off track here but I had a big old bad Rix military compressor with electic driers for my chem filters and that sweet old gal pumped a ocean of air but when I had it lab tested the dew pt was below what the lab could measure (-60). Now all the discussion of freeze ups, where is it freezing I might just be inclined to double check my air source........Just a thought:doctor:

Quimby:

I had said the very same thing, (Either in this thread or another). To me, with all these supposed SP Freeflows everyone is talking about, I really wonder why us "Up here" never seem to get them, even though we dive in at least as cold a water as the rest of the folks here.

My thinking was it must be the air.

Our guys are sticklers for great maintenance of their systems. How else could I get dry mouth from 3 breaths!!!!

It seems to me to be the only difference.

Wouldn't it follow that "moist" air could be the culprit?

in it then even a DRY, SEALED reg can (and WILL!) freeze.

So, where are the freeze-ups of those regs? If they're not happening, then it ain't the gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom