Spare Air: some thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hint: the pressure at the surface (mean sea level) is about 14.7PSI.

So what?

If you got 10 PSI at 140 feet, and you're going to double that every atmosphere; and there's about 4 atmospheres between 140 feet and the surface- that 10 psi might be 160 PSI at the surface. There's a couple of breaths in there.

I fixed it.. It says 30psi now.. But you guys get the idea...

So what?

If you got 10 PSI at 140 feet, and you're going to double that every atmosphere; and there's about 4 atmospheres between 140 feet and the surface- that 10 psi might be 160 PSI at the surface. There's a couple of breaths in there.
Err ... Doc, that's 10 psi in a rigid container, it does not increase as you ascend.

So what?

Hell, your spare air will probably explode!

I fixed it.. It says 30psi now.. But you guys get the idea...

So now the question becomes: how did you suck your cylinder down to 30PSI at 140feet? :p

Not to mix my metaphors but, I'd love to see a Spare Air explode!

Err ... Doc, that's 10 psi in a rigid container, it does not increase as you ascend.

Oh.

I thought that the measured tank pressure increases as you ascend from depth.

Since you claim that it does not...and for all I know you may be right about this..then why does my AI computer give me "more dive time remaining" as I ascend- and yes it bases that information on the most limiting factor and that in my case is almost always gas remaining not Nitrogen absorption.

Oh.

I thought that the measured tank pressure increases as you ascend from depth.

Since you claim that it does not...and for all I know you may be right about this..then why does my AI computer give me "more dive time remaining" as I ascend- and yes it bases that information on the most limiting factor and that in my case is almost always gas remaining not Nitrogen absorption.

oh.

Never mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyles_law

Amazon.com: Basic Decompression Theory and Application, Second Edition (9781930536142): Bruce R. Wienke: Books

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom