Spare air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have read other threads about this now and see that a pony bottle is A LOT BETTER. Now this is to say if your buddy is mr. Magoo and he took his class from scuba steve.

I trust my pony more then Mr. Magoo

Thanks for the fast response divers

What was your ascent rate?

Ascent rate was 30' per min. std. Navy Table.

And I was wrong, it was a 13 cu cylinder. A 6 cu isn't much smaller in overall weight and size.

That last sentence scares me. Actually, the first one scares me too, but you are a Dive MASTER and don't understand how ambient pressure effects your first stage and available air? Please tell me that isn't what you meant.

Joe

Your right, I didn't want to go into the whole ambient pressure ballanced with the intermediate pressure holding back the cylinder pressure, ballanced vs unballanced second stage with a ballanced/unballanced first stage..........

My bad for a bad statement.

Your right, I didn't want to go into the whole ambient pressure ballanced with the intermediate pressure holding back the cylinder pressure, ballanced vs unballanced second stage with a ballanced/unballanced first stage..........

My bad for a bad statement.

you are bad... :D

Whew. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Apparently there is more on the subject of Spare Air!!

Almost two pages now.

More to the point. If one is so sloppy in dive planning as to depend on this contraption then they probably shouldn't be diving.

Really.

Your right I should not have been diving.

Also the research station I was working out of should not have 72 cu cylinders that look darn near like AL 80's. I know I can do that dive on a 80 cu cylinder with plenty of gas to spare. But at 5:00 am the cylinders all look the same.

Since it was a search dive it was not deemed necessary to use more cylinders or go to a surface supplied spread. that might have prevented the OOA situation as well.

But, my point is that having a redundant breathing gas supply is better than no backup. Even if all you plan to do is "blow N go".

And you are here reading the thread and posting in it. What's your point? :wink:
Apparently there is more on the subject of Spare Air!!

Almost two pages now.

But, my point is that having a redundant breathing gas supply is better than no backup. Even if all you plan to do is "blow N go".

Agreed. ANYTHING is better than nothing if you really do have to get the heck out of dodge. But when you can plan on purchasing something like the O.P., then it makes sense to work out the math, and make an informed decision.

After looking at their page, the spare air is 1.7 cuft, and the big boy is 3cuft. I'd challenge anyone I know to do a clean ascent from 99ft with a 1.7 cuft bottle, nevermind the safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom