Spare mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hubert

Registered
Reaction score
Marina Del Rey half year, Paris France other half
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello to all,

I know the topic has come up before, but not specifically for the solo divers - at least it seems to me. So I am wondering, do most solo divers carry a space mask? The only times I have ever lost a mask were when it was kicked out of my face by a buddy, and when I went solo, I kept diving with a single mask. But I feel a bit concerned at times - I don't mind having my eyes open in water, but what if I had to do a deco and read my gauges?
Now and then I hear about tricks involving air bubbles and a cupped hand over the eye, but I never managed to make it work. Any advice?

Cheers

Hubert

Apparently I'm a freak of nature or something. In the generally good visibility ocean waters I usually dive in, even without a mask, I can see well enough to judge when I'm 15' from the surface.

Reading the computer to get accurate depth info is difficult, but with reasonable buoyancy control, a controlled ascent isn't all that difficult.

It may be scary the first time you try it, but an interesting experiment would be for you the SHUT your eyes and then attempt an ascent. It would seem to be something that would be impossible, but by paying close attention to your ears and the feel of the water movement, it is indeed something that can be done.

I sometimes dive in some locations where the surf break churns the approach to the exit so badly that the last couple minutes of the dive is in less than 1' viz. That gives me good mask off or eyes shut practice.

"... do most solo divers carry a space mask? The only times I have ever lost a mask were when it was kicked out of my face by a buddy, and when I went solo, I kept diving with a single mask. But I feel a bit concerned at times - I don't mind having my eyes open in water, but what if I had to do a deco and read my gauges?"
Hubert,

I don't bring a spare mask on most of my dives, and while I have no evidence I suspect that most solo divers don't.

Like Charlie99 I'm not particularly troubled by having to do portions of a dive without a mask. But far more to the point, my solo dives do not involve penetration of any type of overhead (including a deco obligation). The entire point of solo diving (AFAIC) is to set my own constraints and execute my dive to avoid risks I'm unwilling to take. Among those would be any decompression-related risks.

Clearly there are those who disagree, a very well-known cave diver died in Ginnie Springs doing a solo cave dive for example.

But I suspect that MOST solo divers do not put themselves in positions where diving without a mask would be a major problem. FWIW...

The times I carry a spare are when diving dry solo or with doubles. That's because it's always in the pocket on the harness for my doubles. Since going tech I always dive with the same configuration whenever possible. Even with students as a DM when I have my doubles on all the gear I carry on a wreck dive goes with me. Reel, smb, 2 cutting devices, spare mask, etc. If diving single tank then I usually don't when solo as far as a mask goes. Everything else is there though.

I've thought about starting to carry a spare mask. I'm not so worried about not being able to see as I am about the freeking cold water being on my eyes. I dive a lot in the Winter and 45 degree water on your eyes hurts! That and I don't want to lose my primary mask in the first place. If you surface without it you have lost it.
A mask is sort of a strange shaped item when stowed. I wonder about using swim goggles instead.... (I just found a set yesterday ) Clearing them while underwater may be interesting if not impossible though.
I'll experiment next time out.

A mask is sort of a strange shaped item when stowed. I wonder about using swim goggles instead.... (I just found a set yesterday ) Clearing them while underwater may be interesting if not impossible though.
I'll experiment next time out.

They will clear well enough for you to see. With your face down at about a 45 degree angle, exhale lightly from your nose while pulling the bottom of the goggle outward a crack. The air will run up your cheeks and is captured in the goggle. Do one at a time and dont expect all the water to be expelled. Just enough to see.

I carry one all the time, it stays in my dry suit leg pocket and so I always have it. I practice with it but have never had to use it.

I carry a spare mask in my left dry suit pocket. I have a Mares X-Vision because the mask folds completely flat (since the strap is attached to the skirt and not the frame). As I always dive dry up here, I always have my spare mask with me. While I could end the dive without a mask, why have to do that when the mask stows simply and can be deployed easily. Just my two cents...Cheers!

I finally got around to attaching a mask to my kit. Since I don't always have a thigh pocket, I attached it to my left side of my backplate. It's out of the way, but I can easily reach it if ever it becomes necessary.

Back
Top Bottom