Spare mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on the dive. If it is shallow then I dont bother. If it is long and deep enough that I really want to pay attention to my stops then I carry a spare. Goes in left pocket of X-shorts or drysuit.

Sometimes I do...sometimes I don't.

My spare mask is my old mask. I don't always carry it because it takes a lot of pocket space. I've been wondering if there are any super mini masks specifically meant for backup. The ideal product I have in my mind would look like a pair of swim goggles but with a one way tubes running from the eye pieces to the nose for clearing. But not with a real nose pocket, just a small triangular pad with the tubes running out of it that you could press under your nose to form a seal and then exhale into the tubes to clear the eye pieces.

I agree one can make a reasonably safe ascent and safety stop judging one's depth just by the feeling in the ears, buoyancy fluctuations, and maybe ambient light. If however any kind of deco has to be done, then having a spare mask seems a good idea, and reading this post has convinced me I'd do it from now on. Now, what kind of spare mask? I know dive rite makes a stow away low volume mask but ... it's 59.95 ! Someone mentioned goggles, but how do you clear them of water? How do you equalize pressure?

Someone mentioned goggles, but ... How do you equalize pressure?

No need to do anything to equalize as long as you do not descend. With goggles you are limited to holding depth or ascending only.

I actually HAVE a spare mask (which I found on a dive site) and I always bring it to the dive site, but rarely take it with me down. Im not worried about being without a mask underwater as Ive done that quite a lot. Dont get the clearest vision without a mask, but more than good enough to surface...

I carry two of everything when I solo, inclulding a spare mask.

Recently I decided to start wearing a back-up compass, too.

My primary compass failed on my first dive with a back-up compass.

Two masks
Two sets of 1st and 2nd stages
Two tanks
Two bottom timers
Two compasses
Two cutting devices
Two floation devices (BC & dry suit)
Two depth gauges
Two lights
Two halves of a brain (most of the time)

Hello to all,

I know the topic has come up before, but not specifically for the solo divers - at least it seems to me. So I am wondering, do most solo divers carry a space mask? The only times I have ever lost a mask were when it was kicked out of my face by a buddy, and when I went solo, I kept diving with a single mask. But I feel a bit concerned at times - I don't mind having my eyes open in water, but what if I had to do a deco and read my gauges?
Now and then I hear about tricks involving air bubbles and a cupped hand over the eye, but I never managed to make it work. Any advice?

Cheers

Hubert

A big cridder, like a seal, sea lion, or manatee could knock off your mask as well.

It is always better to have a spare mask in a cargo pocket.

The cargo pocket can be sewn onto your thigh area on either a wetsuit or drysuit. Two of them is even better!

I carry two of everything when I solo, inclulding a spare mask.

Recently I decided to start wearing a back-up compass, too.

My primary compass failed on my first dive with a back-up compass.

Two masks
Two sets of 1st and 2nd stages
Two tanks
Two bottom timers
Two compasses
Two cutting devices
Two depth gauges
Two halves of a brain

Agree with:

Two masks (this was the O/P's original question, of course)
Two bottom timers / depth gauges
Two halves of a brain

Disagree with:

Two sets of 1st and 2nd stages (staying withing CESA depth of the surface is fine for me)
Two tanks (staying withing CESA depth of the surface is fine for me)
Two compasses (can always egress anytime and surface swim back)
Two cutting devices (never dropped mine yet)

I live in north Florida and solo dive often in area caves. I have an extra mask, and did carry it at times, but it got in too bad of shape. I have now ordered a new mask -- also with prescription lenses -- but this one with clear glass at the bottom so I can see things clearly close to me.
When I solo dive, (which I really enjoy), I always have my doubles as well as an AL80 buddy bottle. I am planning on putting the new back up mask in a bag and attach it to my buddy bottle for easy access. I will also likely put a fourth small (but bright) light in there as well as a third cutting tool just in case....

Back
Top Bottom