Spearfishing in NJ buddy needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R8:
Rjp how much do you guys charge?

For our open boats it's trip dependent - inshore vs offshore. Click on any specific trip on our schedule to see. For charters booked by shops/groups, they set the price but it's usually about the same.

Dramatic increase in cost of diesel is adding upward pressure, as you can imagine.

Where in NJ

I have a 33' Bertram in Cape May an dover the last few years have done more diving and spearfishing than offshore fishing. We think this summer will be mostly diving and spearfishing.

Not a charter - just a private boat willing to split costs with other SAFE divers .

We had to cancel several planned trips last year when we only had 2 and could not find a bubble watcher, or 3rd diver to round robin.

Hey Manni-Yunk!
I would love to learn about spearfishing being a avid bow hunter and scuba diver I can't think of anything cooler then putting these two sports together!
Also I have a annual membership to Dutch Springs so maybe we could do a get to know you at the quarry before you take a chance inviting a stranger on your boat. We will most likely be there the second weekend of the season and for the DUI Dog day.
I hold a PADI advanced cert. and have been diving for five years.
Four Caribbean dive trips, and lots and lots of quarry diving. I am gearing up for Jersey diving this spring. So I will be new to Jersey diving and spearing.
I have a couple of other dive buddies who wouldn't be interested in spearing but could probably help fill your boat for a dive trip.
The up side is if we say we are in, we are in and wont disappoint you by canceling. I'm sure we could work out a round robin. or if you need a boat nanny I'd be glad to pay some dues that way.
I would consider myself a well informed and conservative diver and fully capable of managing risk as a safe diver.

let me know either way.
John

Hey Manni-Yunk!
I would love to learn about spearfishing being a avid bow hunter and scuba diver I can't think of anything cooler then putting these two sports together!
Also I have a annual membership to Dutch Springs so maybe we could do a get to know you at the quarry before you take a chance inviting a stranger on your boat. We will most likely be there the second weekend of the season and for the DUI Dog day.
I hold a PADI advanced cert. and have been diving for five years.
Four Caribbean dive trips, and lots and lots of quarry diving. I am gearing up for Jersey diving this spring. So I will be new to Jersey diving and spearing.
I have a couple of other dive buddies who wouldn't be interested in spearing but could probably help fill your boat for a dive trip.
The up side is if we say we are in, we are in and wont disappoint you by canceling. I'm sure we could work out a round robin. or if you need a boat nanny I'd be glad to pay some dues that way.
I would consider myself a well informed and conservative diver and fully capable of managing risk as a safe diver.

let me know either way.
John

Sounds good to me. Lets get together up at Dutch.

Im having a custom Ladder made by these guys so we will be ready for a lot of diving:
Diving Equipment Specialties

Just an idea:

For thos eof you that want to get into spearfishing. I go to NC a few times per year. Discovery Diving. Water clarity is unreal and what they have that we do not is GROUPER. We are planned for a NC trip over the 4th of July weekend and ther eis still a few spots available. We stay at a dive lodge so the trip is not expensive. The lodge is nice enough for me to bring my wife. ITs a good mix of couples and single folks so its fun for everyone.

Also - look up MAKO spearguns. We stop at the Mako shop on the way down every year - since its right off of 95. DANO owns mako and knows more about spearguns and spearfishing than anyone. Nicest guy in the world. HE assembled our guns in front of us - showed us everything. Plenty of other cool things there also. We are picking up a few more guns and having Dano replace our Bands and wishbones on the way.

For a Custom gun - the price cant be beat and the warranty is unheard of -Details are on his website.

If you want to give spearfishing a try you should consider a trip to NC and a stop at MAKO on the way.

For our open boats it's trip dependent - inshore vs offshore. Click on any specific trip on our schedule to see. For charters booked by shops/groups, they set the price but it's usually about the same.

Dramatic increase in cost of diesel is adding upward pressure, as you can imagine.

I am nervous about that for this year. A few charter friends said that they might be in for a big price increase.

I have logs where we paid .75 cents/ gal and ran to the canyons and back for $130.00

it was THAT long ago either.

Where in NJ

I have a 33' Bertram in Cape May an dover the last few years have done more diving and spearfishing than offshore fishing. We think this summer will be mostly diving and spearfishing.

Not a charter - just a private boat willing to split costs with other SAFE divers .

We had to cancel several planned trips last year when we only had 2 and could not find a bubble watcher, or 3rd diver to round robin.

I would love to meet up you can email me at jeremiahhupka(at)me.com

Jeremiah Hupka

I would love to meet up you can email me at jeremiahhupka(at)me.com

Jeremiah Hupka

OK.

I am going to get an email list together soon and maybe have a group of us get together at Dutch.

I would love to have enough interested, safe, divers that I can make it out a lot this summer.

Custom ladder - ordered. (should make reboarding a lot easier than last year)

Now I need to get the boat ready and install some tank holders in the cockpit.

I was just looking at your profile. 20 min from Dutch? Lucky. I have a 2 hour drive! I used to go every week, but was just wearing me down. I will be hitting the inlets this summer a lot as well (40 min drive). I would be up for some boat dives as well. Let me know when you will be going to Dutch. Unfortunately, I work most weekends myself, which is great for dutch, because on any given weekday it's completely quiet.

I was just looking at your profile. 20 min from Dutch? Lucky. I have a 2 hour drive! I used to go every week, but was just wearing me down. I will be hitting the inlets this summer a lot as well (40 min drive). I would be up for some boat dives as well. Let me know when you will be going to Dutch. Unfortunately, I work most weekends myself, which is great for dutch, because on any given weekday it's completely quiet.

I can often make it on weekdays as well.

I live 20 min away - but dont go there all that often as most of the guys that I dive NJ with wont touch the quarry.....

I end up at Dutch with my wife (if I can convince her) or with the LDS when they are doing check outs.

I am trying a few new gear configs and will likely dive dutch more this year than the last few -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom