Spearfishing in NJ buddy needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going to Manasquan Bridge next week from the 18th of April to the 22nd. Any day is good for me. Anyone...Anyone.....Bueller?

Manni, How did you make out with the ladder.? Is the transom reinforced?
See you topside! John

Manni, How did you make out with the ladder.? Is the transom reinforced?
See you topside! John

Yes and No.

I added 4 layers of glass over most of the transom - then made a 3/4" thick marine plywood backing plate that is 48" wide and 24" deep - coated it with epoxy, then predrilled all mounting holes (oversized hole on purpose) and filled all holes with epoxy.

The top plate for the stainless cable going from top part of transom to bottom front of platform is installed, glassed in and ready to go.

I need to install the already made bottom plate this weekend - then the platform will be good to go.

I figured that I only wanted to do this once and I might as well overbuild it.

My boat is a 33 bertram. Bertrams are known for being overbuilt - in the right places like bottom, etc. Since they are all inboard - the transom is unbelievably thin. There was really never any force acting on it - so it didnt need to be thick.

I added at least an 1/8 of an inch of glass -followed by the 3/4 ply - then another 2 layers of glass on top (probably another 1/16 - 1/32 of an inch).

Should be done soon - I cant wait to get the boat wet and start diving.

I also got sidetracked with some electronice upgrades. I added a new radar, replaced my 10 inch screen with a 12 inch (GPS) and added an AIS capable vhf (for night running safety)

Short notice -

but looking for another diver for tomorrows shake down dive. Ran the boat today - tomorrow we want to go about 10 miles to get a few dives in. Fuel is on me if we can get another diver! I have 2, we want three to round robin.

Any dives memorial weekend?

We did. We had some communications gear and FFM we wanted to play wiht so 2 of us hit the Wildwood reef.

We actually had a little trouble marking the wreck at first. My, less expensive, lower power fishfinder from the boat last year was significantly better than the one this year - EVEN THOUGH this years is significantly more expensive and powerful. supposed to be an upgrade on it this summer - I hope so. Otherwise dives to locations that I dont have good numbers on could be a little more difficult.

Saturday was fun - did the shakedown on the boat, uncovered a few small issues that we needed to fix (switches, etc). Its always something!

Back
Top Bottom