Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Het's post was spot on about the sharks. I havent read this entire thread, so this may be repetitious. I spearfish a good bit on the Al. coast. Here is my take on it, and it is quite simple.....I am diving around a wreck, artificial reef or whatever structure we happen to be on. Sure we are shooting fish but the main objective is to do my dive. I am carrying a gun and polespear just in case I see a fish I want to eat, which is a bonus on the dive. Im not sure a class is the way to go, but could be helpful. You should find some folks that are spearing and tag along and see how they do it. Everyone has their own techniques so you can use what you see as a basis on what to do(and what not to do). I have seen some that you definately dont want to do what they do and how they do it. I have been down many times to come up empty handed........guess thats why **** called fishing and not catching :lol:

As a freediver and a scuba diver I have had my shares of encounters of sharks, and have saw alot of them, too close:shocked2: It kinda makes sense that Red Snapper are at a peak level in the gulf, they have alot to eat. But remember ( Preditors in the Ocean never pass up a free meal, due to that they never know when the next meal might come along.) It's evedient that SuPeRmAnBuGmAn stickes to caves and plays with eels:shakehead:, and not that much in the gulf. I would bet that a few dives with our team and he would change his mind. I can say their is more sharks than ever and if your spearfishing, you dont have a powerhead, well your quite dumb, just go to the bridge rubble," i'll wait":banana: for your response. Sharks are not BAD at all, no body is saying that, let's get that clear... :popcorn: The only problem I have with them, is really nothing at all, I like seeing them, but at a distance.

I will let Bugman defend himself...but I am interested in what he would change his mind about IF he dove with your "team"? The need for a powerhead? People are "quite dumb" if they don't dive with a powerhead.....you really believe that? I think that would include the overwhelming majority of divers and spearos....because most DON'T use a powerhead. I know a lot of spearfishermen who would say anyone that needs a powerhead is "quite dumb" for using one. Understanding and mitigating risk as it relates to sharks, is far more effective then any powerhead.

It's evedient that SuPeRmAnBuGmAn stickes to caves and plays with eels:shakehead:, and not that much in the gulf. I would bet that a few dives with our team and he would change his mind. I can say their is more sharks than ever and if your spearfishing, you dont have a powerhead, well your quite dumb, just go to the bridge rubble," i'll wait":banana: for your response.

Well, ive been freediving with no fish, no powernead and have been bumped, so, I think there is somewhat a need for saftey. A bump or two is the first signal of a attack. So ill ask the dead guy and see if he could have used one lol. Not to be direct, but whats wrong with a lil saftey, its not like im saying you have to kill every shark that comes by, or even if one gets close. It's when they make gou feel like your lifes in danger. I know and buddy over in Tallahassee who had to use one, when you goto do it, yeah it sucks (esp.) for the shark, but I dont want to be Tenderized or Eaten.

I am all for safety....and I agree, if it comes down to a man or shark....I say the man wins every time.

It's just I have lived on the Gulf all my life, I have fished, swam, and dove the Gulf. I have never seen this huge problem with sharks in our area. Maybe powerheads make people "feel" safer. I just hate the thought of people using the powerhead weapon as opposed to the weapon between their ears....that is my only point.

Well, ive been freediving with no fish, no powernead and have been bumped, so, I think there is somewhat a need for saftey. A bump or two is the first signal of a attack. So ill ask the dead guy and see if he could have used one lol. Not to be direct, but whats wrong with a lil saftey, its not like im saying you have to kill every shark that comes by, or even if one gets close. It's when they make gou feel like your lifes in danger. I know and buddy over in Tallahassee who had to use one, when you goto do it, yeah it sucks (esp.) for the shark, but I dont want to be Tenderized or Eaten.

I spearfish, and yes, I carry a powerhead. I have no intention of using it unless I absolutley have to. I have a had several shark encounters, but have never felt the need to kill one. That being said, I will not spear without carrying a powerhead. Just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing I may be able to do something if I have to. The debate on powerheads will never end (like politics or religion). Everyone should make an informed decision on what they want to do and what equipment to carry.

Het's post was spot on about the sharks. I havent read this entire thread, so this may be repetitious. I spearfish a good bit on the Al. coast. Here is my take on it, and it is quite simple.....I am diving around a wreck, artificial reef or whatever structure we happen to be on. Sure we are shooting fish but the main objective is to do my dive. I am carrying a gun and polespear just in case I see a fish I want to eat, which is a bonus on the dive. Im not sure a class is the way to go, but could be helpful. You should find some folks that are spearing and tag along and see how they do it. Everyone has their own techniques so you can use what you see as a basis on what to do(and what not to do). I have seen some that you definately dont want to do what they do and how they do it. I have been down many times to come up empty handed........guess thats why **** called fishing and not catching :lol:

man your avatar is just wrong! :rofl3:

I completely agree with your comments. The debate will NEVER end, and people should make an "informed" decision. My worry is that many new spearfishermen get bad information on sharks and shark behavior. Therefore, they carry a power head out of fear, and not the facts of what really goes on in OUR part of the Gulf.

IF a diver decides that his situation calls for a powerhead, then I support an informed decision. Unfortunately, the majority of discussions I have seen regarding powerheads involves emotional arguments for and against...regardless of what the facts and statistics show.

I spearfish, and yes, I carry a powerhead. I have no intention of using it unless I absolutley have to. I have a had several shark encounters, but have never felt the need to kill one. That being said, I will not spear without carrying a powerhead. Just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing I may be able to do something if I have to. The debate on powerheads will never end (like politics or religion). Everyone should make an informed decision on what they want to do and what equipment to carry.

GREAT! Thanks a lot Mike. With my bad eyes I just "assumed" it was something else. After your comment I went and clicked on it...."I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth!!"

man your avatar is just wrong! :rofl3:

I don't have a problem with a responsible diver carrying one. In fact, my usual spearfishing partner carries one in his bc. We did about 50 spearfishing dives this year, and he's not armed it once, despite the presence of sharks, sometimes BIG sharks, and sometimes more than one shark.

I share Glen's fear. The second-to-last thing I want to see is some macho-man, or uneducated diver killing a shark unnecessarily. I think powerheads give SOME people that little extra bit of bravado they need to do something thoughtless, or just plain stupid. (see virtually every post containing the word powerhead on spearboard) and the end result of that is a dead shark that won't get eaten, or a goliath carcass rotting in an underwater cave. I'm not saying that people who carry powerheads are jerks, I'm saying that a lot of jerks carry powerheads, but thoughtful, educated divers carry them as well.

That said, if the purpose of carrying a powerhead is shark defense, then you have an uphill battle. If you are able to change out the tip on your spear, and then successfully hit the shark, then he probably was not very serious about biting you. They have you beat in every conceivable way. It's not even a contest. Any belief that you are "safe" from a shark is an illusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom