Speargun Models and Sizes - Which to Choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, I've only seen a little on spearguns mentioned on this board. I guess I want to take a little more than pictures :wink:.

I've done some searching on speargun specs, and come up with:

- Wooden guns are more positively buoyant, and more silent
- The longer the shaft, the greater the range

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for spearguns? So far I've looked at JBL, Riffe, and AB Biller. All are nice I guess. I live in FL, so something that can get me around most of the state would be nice. Plus something I can also use while freediving would also help. I'm not massive, but I can throw some weight around :D

Got any suggestions on a good speargun to start off with? I'm hungry!

What size critters are you planning on whacking, and how often are you going to be going out?

The 3 guns you mentioned are all decent, with the Riffe being the Cadillac.

For Keys diving, I have a JBL Sawed Off Magnum, the gun only gets used a couple-few times a month. If it were getting used much more often, I'd have gone with a Riffe.
JBL has a new line out that uses heavier wood, it's less bouyant.

I have two, a Biller which I've used for many, many years and a Riffe which I've had for almost 2 years now. Both are almost neutral in the water. Aim is different, I was used to the Biller and had to adjust my aim down for the Riffe. The Riffe is quieter so you lose fewer who move when they hear the gun fired. I've had a trigger fail (since replaced) on the Biller. When the trigger fails it fires. FredT tells me the Riffe trigger won't fail, but if it does it fails by not firing. Are you interested in free shafting? If you are, the Riffe is not for you. Most of my hunting buddies free shaft and use Billers.

Free shafting is not having a line attached to your shaft. Some prefer it because they feel the fish will feel the line and put up more of a fight.

thanks I am just getting into spearfishing and I dont know a lot of the stuff yet.
Joens

sure I will order it I have been reading a few books on the subject Thanks.
Joens

Walter once bubbled...
May I recommend reading The Last of the Blue Water Hunters ?
Any idea where I can find a copy I thought I remembered seeing some on some of the websites I buy from but I looked and they didnt have it.
Joens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom