Specific Boat Diving Gear Management

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Mooradian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The extent of my boat diving has been small xcursions with rental gear - 2 or 3 people on a small boat or diving with my own gear from my own boat. In the first case all gear is basically laid out for you and you leave it there when you leave the boat. On my own boat my gear is all where I want it with no one else to be concerned with. I am headed to Cozumel on a dive trip in January and we will be on charters each day. I use a Mares back pack / roller bag to carry my gear, but I am not sure if that is a good option for the boat. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:
A bag you take on a tropical resort type day boat should be something you can easy tuck under the seat or stuff in a corner, and something you don't care if it gets wet and salty. I'm guessing if it has rollers it does neither. I suggest buying a mesh bag made for the purpose - easy to pack and quick to dry, and appropriate for throwing wet gear in. Doesn't have to be expensive, though the ones with backpack straps are handy for freeing up your hands.

You could check with the op you're diving with. Occasionally an op will supply one for people that don't have them. Or if you're at an op that takes care of all your gear and you're just bringing it to the shop or boat once, maybe you can get away without. But even if an op takes care of your gear there's bound to be a few things you'd rather hang onto yourself, like small items, and the bag is useful for that.

Large Bags, cases, and boxes are a real pain on boats where space is always a premium.

As a general rule, The Stab' Jacket and regulators will be on the cylinder, so they don't need storage.
You will need a bag to keep the smaller stuff together, fins, mask, reels, DSMB etc. Weights carry separately - they will break most bags - its easier and safer.
Generally avoid bags with zips. Zips and seawater don't mix (although they will last a trip). As stated above, a string bag - its cheap and nothing much to go wrong. I add a clip to mine then I can clip it off to the cylinder or boat rail - stops it going missing and keeps it off the deck. (I always clip to the rail when its empty, then I can find it again when I return from the dive).
I make a point of putting my stuff back in the bag as soon as possible once I get back on the boat and de-kitted - even before drinking my tea! It ensures you don't loose stuff and aren't running around the boat looking for your missing mask just before the next dive. It also stops people sitting on your mask or dropping cylinders on your kit. On that note, either wear your computer all the time or clip it back on your Stab jacket, I've seen to many with cylinders on them or kicked over the side by accident.

A small dry bag is always handy for your phone, wallet, sunblock, etc.

Cameras - I was taught a good trick this year. I've started to use a small coolbox. It takes the camera, the wet lenses, strobe etc all assembled. It keeps the camera and lenses cool (stops lenses fogging issues), it doesn't look like expensive camera gear when in the car. It doesn't matter when you drop a wet camera back in the box. Its light, easy to clean and wash, drys quickly and is robust enough to protect the camera.

If you are on a live aboard. Then larger bags are good to get kit on to the boat. One for dive kit, one (or two) for dry. If they are bags they can be folded up taking the minimum of space and are easy to store.

Gareth

Having recently been with two different dive ops in Cozumel on six-pack dives, I discovered the following: it is a good thing to have a mesh bag to carry aboard mask, fins, regulator, dry box, etc. I also carry aboard (in the mesh bag) a plastic - somewhat waterproof - with a towel. The dry stuff can go up in the life jacket stowage and stay pretty dry. The mesh bag with the gear after the dive including BCD less dry stuff transports the gear to the rinse tank, for which I found that I was responsible. In both cases the dive op had storage overnight. The mesh bage with rinsed gear goes on the shelf or in a bin. One shop said it was okay to leave my gear drying near the rinse tank and they would put it away.
The next day my gear was on the boat.
Cheers - MM

Which charter are you diving with? Many of the dive ops in Cozumel provide conceirge service. They clean, dry and store your gear then have it waiting on the boat for you when you go out to dive. So there is no need for large gear bags.

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I am looking for a mesh bag... but hoping for the type of service uncfnp spoke of! To be honest I signed up for the trip without a lot planning or questions. I am away on business a great deal and when I saw the DS I deal with offer the trip (was in getting cylinders filled) I signed up without too many questions. First real "Dive Vacation". Obviously lots of questions for the DS now....

Some boats have a tiny enough box- think: plastic milk basket - that holds fins, mask, gloves, dive light. The BC and regs are typically - all attached to the AL80's on their benches. You might want a small duffel that can carry from car to the boat, then tuck it out of the way. My sunglasses and cell phone? Id ask them if these can go in the cabin.

I have given up on duffels, mesh duffel bags, rolling duffels, etc., in favor of walking to the boat wearing the bcd like a backpack with fins, mask, snorkel hooked to d-rings with carabiners, dive boots on my feet, and my wetsuit wrapped around the tank bands. I carry my reg/computer/gauge set, camera, and "save a dive kit" in a small mesh bag. No muss, no fuss, and a lot easier to carry than a mesh bag, especially after diving.

For my small items that doesn't mind water I have this. Holds two dive computers, mask, wetnotes, small save a dive ziplock bag and dive light. The stitching came loose after several months but was easy to hand tack back down with some nylon thread.

Sport Mesh Shower Tote in Charcoal

For things I want dry, towel, snacks, change of clothes I have this. I put a butterfly bolt snap on it so I can hook it into the overhead mesh if the boat has one. Otherwise, I just tuck it up under my bench seat or other convenient place on the boat. It's not truely waterproof but very water resistent. Front pocket holds my phone in a case, some cash and my c-cards if brought along. Very light weight and takes up next to no room in the luggage. One of my favorites of recent dive related purchases.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXKF77R/ref=twister_B00KFFQID8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Once I drop off my gear at the dive op in Cozumel, this is all I need going to come and go from the boat. My dive op supplies a mesh bag to hold the gear they keep between dives. Some ops however do not deal with wetsuits. If not you will need something larger that will hold your wetsuit and be easy to carry.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I am looking for a mesh bag... but hoping for the type of service uncfnp spoke of! To be honest I signed up for the trip without a lot planning or questions. I am away on business a great deal and when I saw the DS I deal with offer the trip (was in getting cylinders filled) I signed up without too many questions. First real "Dive Vacation". Obviously lots of questions for the DS now....

This may be what you are looking for.

Ballistic Mesh Dive Bag | MAKO Spearguns

MMB-2T.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom