• Spg

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • AI

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • Both

Votes: 49 45.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater has just released the Tern, which is the recreational version of the Teric. It is available both without ($650) and with AI ($775). It's a great option if you're specifically looking for a dive computer. While the G1 is a "cheap" smartwatch with DC function. The Tern is definitely the superior DC and looks cooler :cool:
I'd like to know how you got to that conclusion. I feel like the polywhatever plastic is more durable than the metals. As for looks, I can admit I have terrible taste, I like the look of the G1 better than the Teric, despite being far cheaper. I haven't seen the Tern. I don't have a problem with saving money but I prefer to save money by having my stuff last longer rather than spending less on something that won't last.

By all means, criticize the Garmin, I'm not loyal to a brand. I'd like to know.

There are multiple reg-flags regarding equipment in your post, but I'll not comment further. Good luck.
Well that's just hateful, I'm not sure how I offended you. Maybe you perceived overconfidence and disliked it?

By all means, criticize the Garmin, I'm not loyal to a brand. I'd like to know.
Garmin has terrible customer service, especially compared to Shearwater. It is a good practice to buy something based on capability and track record, not on looks. If you really like an old Casio, then dive with an old Casio.

Well that's just hateful, I'm not sure how I offended you. Maybe you perceived overconfidence and disliked it?
You haven't offended me, I just hate to waste my time. You do not seem to take input, so why bother. Never the less, here are some examples of potential issues:
I replaced all my hoses for miflex hoses a few years ago
Many are replacing their Miflex with rubber, due to issues with Miflex insides, crimping, and braided covering coming apart/
The lever on the inside also appeared to be calcified
So you left it that way? Your 2nd stage needs rebuilding.
I also adjusted my octo with a screwdriver
This can seriously harm the seat unless you were pushing the purge button at the saem time.
my confidence is quite high in my gear
You seem to expect it to run perfectly forever, so long as no one but you or your wife touches it. I'm afraid you can't count on that.

You haven't offended me, I just hate to waste my time. You do not seem to take input, so why bother. Never the less, here are some examples of potential issues:

Many are replacing their Miflex with rubber, due to issues with Miflex insides, crimping, and braided covering coming apart/

So you left it that way? Your 2nd stage needs rebuilding.

This can seriously harm the seat unless you were pushing the purge button at the saem time.

You seem to expect it to run perfectly forever, so long as no one but you or your wife touches it. I'm afraid you can't count on that.
I did not leave my second stage unremedied. I allowed someone more skilled than myself to complete the maintenance. I'm also sarcastic and only selectively disregard some opinions, such as your view on miflex hoses. I will certainly replace them if I see any sign of wear and they are in excellent condition.

On that note, yes I said I don't let people touch my gear but I ask people to help me with it if I trust them. So if I seemed to "not take input well" all I can say is, you seem to expect your opinion to be accepted as if I knew you. All I know about you is a small amount of info under a picture of a seahorse.

As you'll notice, I have respected and valued every bit of information given to me regarding the subject of the thread and the questions I have asked. You don't have to waste your time getting to know my reg or disparaging miflex hoses.

All I know about you is a small amount of info under a picture of a seahorse.
LOL. That is not a seahorse, it is a longnose hawkfish, Oxycirrhites typus.

Garmin has terrible customer service, especially compared to Shearwater. It is a good practice to buy something based on capability and track record, not on looks. If you really like an old Casio, then dive with an old Casio.
Thanks for that bit of info especially about customer service.

As for track record, Garmin has an extremely good track record overall with regard to performance of their devices, does this not hold true with their dive computers? On that note, Shearwater hasn't been making dive computers much longer, only a few years, and I have read about a battery drain issue along with slow and expensive servicing.

It is definitely time to replace the old Casio but I wish Casio made a DC.

As for track record, Garmin has an extremely good track record overall with regard to performance of their devices, does this not hold true with their dive computers? On that note, Shearwater hasn't been making dive computers much longer only a few years,
Garmin since 2018; SW since 2007.

Actually Bruce started in 2004 making boards for Megs in his garage (wiki)...​

Garmin since 2018; SW since 2007.
Fair enough, 11 years is a very long time with regard to the development of technology and I'll side with you that they're very new to the DC market compared to Shearwater.

Stilll, I have used a lot of very good Garmin stuff, including marine navigation and military grade navigation devices (I had one but still preferred paper maps) and they make outstanding equipment that easily lasts decades.

I'm looking actively for some more negative opinions of Garmin Dive computers (won't disregard).

Back
Top Bottom