• Spg

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • AI

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • Both

Votes: 49 45.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair enough, 11 years is a very long time with regard to the development of technology and I'll side with you that they're very new to the DC market compared to Shearwater.

Stilll, I have used a lot of very good Garmin stuff, including marine navigation and military grade navigation devices (I had one but still preferred paper maps) and they make outstanding equipment that easily lasts decades.

I'm looking actively for some more negative opinions of Garmin Dive computers (won't disregard).
I actually like the Garmin MkIIi; two of my friends have them. The GPS is great! But the downside of their transmitters for AI is that they use RF on land and acoustics u/w, so there is no way to check that it is working until you are already in the water. Bad design, methinks.

I actually like the Garmin MkIIi; two of my friends have them. The GPS is great! But the downside of their transmitters for AI is that they use RF on land and acoustics u/w, so there is no way to check that it is working until you are already in the water. Bad design, methinks.
Any reason to think it won't last a long time?

Wrist sonar sounds stupid, but maybe I made that sound stupid. The fact that they also made a solar version of a watch just irks me too, again likely my personality interfering with my reasoning. But it's clearly a gimmick or even a joke, either way my faith in their designs is slightly reduced.

I'd like to know how you got to that conclusion. I feel like the polywhatever plastic is more durable than the metals. As for looks, I can admit I have terrible taste, I like the look of the G1 better than the Teric, despite being far cheaper. I haven't seen the Tern. I don't have a problem with saving money but I prefer to save money by having my stuff last longer rather than spending less on something that won't last.

By all means, criticize the Garmin, I'm not loyal to a brand. I'd like to know.
The Tern looks very similar to the Teric... looks is personal taste, you do you...
Polymer is durable for sure but more then metal?... not sure, and doesn't really matter, you hopefully wont drive a tank over it. But IMHO a metal housing ages more noble... (eg Shearwater Teric or Perdix?), plastic just looks bad after years of demanding usages. I use the Teric over 5 years/+400 dives, never had any issues and if someday, Shearwater support is legendary. Nice point is also that Shearwater keep their value pretty well, still could sell mine for almost half for what I paid.
In terms of DC function you're right, I may have jumped to conclusion here. Never dived a Garmin, I know many love it and for sure it's a capable DC, also the G1 (or any Descent) is the better every dive day carry. I hate that the Teric has no option to keep the watch on. However, I want a dive computer that just works for many years. Garmin released their MK1 in 2017 and heard they basically stopped supporting it last year.

The Tern looks very similar to the Teric... looks is personal taste, you do you...
Polymer is durable for sure but more then metal?... not sure, and doesn't really matter, you hopefully wont drive a tank over it. But IMHO a metal housing ages more noble... (eg Shearwater Teric or Perdix?), plastic just looks bad after years of demanding usages. I use the Teric over 8 years/+400 dives, never had any issues and if someday, Shearwater support is legendary. Nice point is also that Shearwater keep their value pretty well, still could sell mine for almost half for what I paid.
In terms of DC function you're right, I may have jumped to conclusion here. Never dived a Garmin, I know many love it and for sure it's a capable DC, also the G1 (or any Descent) is the better every dive day carry. I hate that the Teric has no option to keep the watch on. However, I want a dive computer that just works for many years. Garmin released their MK1 in 2017 and heard they basically stopped supporting it last year.
I have used exactly 3 models of Dive computer. My attitude a decade ago was that it was an unnecessary gimmick and passing trend. I bought an Oceanic dive computer and almost immediately hated it andd am confident I would still hate it today. I thought I figured out how to not make it beep but it beeped anyway, a lot. I also had to press a button everytime I looked at it, which made it beep, in order to see the info I wanted and then look at my SPG.

So I sold it to someone for beer money (not Budlight) and got a Mares dive computer to finish the padi courses I was doing and my wife actually still wears it and we dive together so I basically still use it. A few days ago a friend of mine let me borrow his cute little blue thing that is not a color I would choose and it was "Solar" which made me question his intelligence in addition to his sexual orientation.

So I actually got to try the G1 and I have to say I think I'm going to get the non-blue, non-solar version for myself unless I can find a good reason not to in the next couple of weeks. I'm still researching a dive computer for my wife and she wants a Shearwater with AI. I think we can all agree she is smarter than I am.

I've had outstanding customer service from Garmin, comparable to all the stories I hear about Shearwater(though a lot of that might have been my LDS). That is only a sample size of 1, Shearwater has been around much longer.

I've had outstanding customer service from Garmin, comparable to all the stories I hear about Shearwater(though a lot of that might have been my LDS). That is only a sample size of 1, Shearwater has been around much longer.
My concern is the support life with Garmin, they released 3 models of their MK series (7 if you count all options) where Shearwater still makes the original Teric and they will probably for some time. Shearwater still supports the Predator from 2009 (however no firmware updates anymore).

... Shearwater still makes the original Teric and they will probably for some time.
Not sure that if that fact on the Teric is a good one as they still seem to use the same problematic batteries that they've never acknowledged are problematic (lose charge life faster than they should after a period of use) - luckily, they have great service and will fix, but about time for a Teric 2, I think.

Not sure that if that fact on the Teric is a good one as they still seem to use the same problematic batteries that they've never acknowledged are problematic (lose charge life faster than they should after a period of use) - luckily, they have great service and will fix, but about time for a Teric 2, I think.
Interesting, didn't know about the battery issue... mine works fine after I don't know how many charging cycles... still holds easily for 5 days diving without recharge or getting worried. I will take more care now and not let the charge drop below 30%.

Is this generally accepted by a plurality of people at least as smart as me? I guess I'm seeking an opinion about peer attitudes for whatever it might be worth. Is that notion controversial, that the batteries are a common problem that they refuse to acknowledge?

You consider AI a must-have despite having been diving since long before the SPG was common. That's the strongest argument for it I've seen yet. You are former military?
When you want to have a dive computer, with AI or not, is your choice. You can still dive on tables. I’ve over 45 years in this fantastic sport/hobby/addiction with buying my first computer in 1993. Initially I continued to dive tables as my dive buddies were computerless. What I soon discovered was the computer was calculating my N take up in real time giving me better none deco time. Even when doing mandatory deco stops my second and third dives were much longer bottom time than staying on tables. Often the third dive could not be done on tables.
I bought an AI 4 years ago and have found to reliable, but I still have a SPG attached. Not because I don’t trust the AI, but on the few occasions I’ve forgotten the computer I can still dive - I have my old computer attached to my jacket so I can’t forget it.
Over the years I’ve had to replace more SPGs from inaccurate readings than computers.
This will not go down well on SB, but I use have always bought Suunto, currently an EON Steel Black.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom