SPG Repair???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easiest thing would be to note the error(s) and adjust the readings in your head. Maybe even mark the face at a few points with corrections. If you must, the face should unscrew and you might be able to adjust the indicator without damage. You would have to check and watch to make sure the correction is reliable. Probably a good idea to replace the face o-ring if you open it up. I would not trash the gauge.

Nope it's junk.

Mike D

That is very common for older Scubapro SPG's. It cannot be fixed. I would dump it and move on.

If you do decide to junk it, let me know. I need to replace the lens on one of mine.

Ok, I debated on whether or not to start a new thread, but having found this thread, I thought I'd drag it back from the dead because of Awap's suggestion of opening up the SPG to fix it. I actually read something similar, but I can't recall where.

Anyway, I'm in a similar pickle. I left one of my regs pressurized, and now the reg "sticks" ie it'll zero only if I tap on the SPG. So its a bit different from the OPs predicament in that his is a constant 300 PSI above zero.

Here's a photo of the gauge:

IMG_9106.jpg

Is this the type whose face can be unscrewed?

No, it can not be unscrewed. One off the wall thought is to work the needle pressurize it then drain it - kinda of like when the cylinder value is only partially open. The needle movement might help unstick it a bit. Otherwise, tap it until until it is not longer precise. One can dive an SPG that is not accurate as long as it has been calibrated and is precise.

Some screw on and some are crimped on. With nothing to provide a grip, that one is probably crimped so it is probably toast.

If it were mine, I'd have to play with it a bit. I suspect the failure you describe is probably caused by some binding in the mechanism that operates the needle. (Which also suggests that water got into the case.) I'd have to drill a hole in the back of the case and give it a squirt of WD-40 or something similar just to see if that fixed the problem. It might even be possible to remove the blowout plug rather than drill. I expect that plus is theoretically replaceable. In any event, if the case is leaking, it is almost surely the face o-ring held by the crimp. I don't see it ever becoming a reliable, usable SPG and any reasonable cost. But if you have a 1st stage dedicated to surface use, you might be able to use it there. I have taken a plastic SPG that flooded and drilled the case. Drained the water, flushed it with FW, and hit it with WD40. It seems to work fine for above water use.

Some screw on and some are crimped on. With nothing to provide a grip, that one is probably crimped so it is probably toast.

If it were mine, I'd have to play with it a bit. I suspect the failure you describe is probably caused by some binding in the mechanism that operates the needle. (Which also suggests that water got into the case.) I'd have to drill a hole in the back of the case and give it a squirt of WD-40 or something similar just to see if that fixed the problem. It might even be possible to remove the blowout plug rather than drill. I expect that plus is theoretically replaceable...

I've got 3 sorta working gauges that I can experiment with. All 3 still measure pressure, 2 of them are sticky. The 1st is a suunto plastic gauge which I consider reday to be tossed, but just might drill the back and try the WD bit to see if it helps, followed by a layer of marine epoxy. This is the inital SPG that I was referring to when I said I left my reg pressurized for a week. Prior to that, it had been a while since it had seen water and was reading fine, so I'm not too sure about the water entry possibility as a cause of sticking. The 2nd one is a Dacor plastic gauge which opacifed and cracked most likely due to water entry. Surprisingly, the gauge still measures fine with no binding. I'll probably clean it up and make it into a tank pressure checker. The third gauge is this one in the photo. Regarding the "sticking," It'll read fine from the range of 3000 PSI, but once it hits 1K, that's when I need to tap to reset. I'm not quite sure how to remove the blow out plug without damaging it to try out the WD plan, so any ideas out there will be welcome :D

It is good to have some unusable gear laying around to play with. I took a small drill to a blowout plug and it went through and pulled the plug out nicely. I suspect the right diameter piece of o-ring stock might plug it up again if you can figure out the correct glue to use. May not be worth all the trouble but why not give it a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom