SPG Repair???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll give an update as to how that fix goes :D

I'll give an update as to how that fix goes :D

Okay, just an update on this (for closure).

The plastic gauge I had somehow has "fixed" itself and no longer registers an error.

The Dacor gauge is still in pieces.

As for the brass gauge in the photo, the blow out plug was removed easily enough after I speared it with an or ing pick and gave it a small tug. I tried blowing it out with compressed air - nada. So I took a dremel and cut the face off:

1. The "glass" wasn't glass at all, but plastic.
2. The inside was coated with some black powdery stuff. I sprayed it out with some cleaner, but the gauge was still sticky. I put some silicone grease on the joint where the gauge mechanism connects with the bourdon tube, as well as the gear mechanism. Then I sealed everything up with marine epoxy. Seems to work fine now - its accurate and doesn't bind. I've got a feeling that the WD-40 would've worked, but I was concerned that getting oil or grease on the fine spiral spring would make it sticky.

I'll be testing it later in the pressure pot once the epoxy has completely dried, and I'll see how it goes from there. Would I trust this gauge? Mmmm, debated putting it on my al40, but since I might end up using that bottle for overheads, I decided to put it on a smaller 13cuft bottle that I can use for just OW. That one currently just uses a button gauge.

And... it didn't leak :D Put in the pot to 180'. So... at least I know its still submersible. and it does read pressure. And it still a gauge. I guess I just saved myself an SPG :D Still, all it'll be used for is at most an SPG on an OW pony, and not on my overhead pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom