SPG Routing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravisS.

Registered
Reaction score
I want to get away from a console type SPG setup and streamline my equipment. What is a efficient routing and placement of a SPG? I am open to DIR methodology (or any suggestions for that matter), GUE-F is in my future training plans. FYI I dive a Zeagle Express Tech BC.

Over the wing, behind the shoulder, clipped to a d-ring on your waist.

That keeps it streamlined, out of the way, and still easily accessed when needed.

There are a number of ways of handling an SPG. The simplest is to route the hose straight down, and clip the gauge to your BC at your left hip. This may not be easy, if your BC doesn't have a ring or loop or anything to clip to in that site, but most will have SOMETHING along the bottom hem, somewhere between your hip and your midline.

Another way to route it is under your arm, and clipped up to your left chest d-ring. This may make the gauge easy to see while you are diving, without having to unclip it. Most BCs have some kind of ring on the front of the shoulder so you can do this. You can also clip across your body to the right d-ring, if the hose is long enough, as people do with their consoles.

Both of those approaches have limitations, if you are going to go on to more complex diving, or use a long hose. The left chest d-ring approach doesn't work well with slung bottles, and the right chest one is difficult to manage with a long hose.

Since one generally checks gas only every five minutes or so, having to unclip, check and reclip really isn't that big of a problem, and the left hip approach has none of the listed limitations.

My BC is a Zeagle Ranger. I just run the hose under the Chest Strap. Keeps it out of hte way and easily accessible

I want to get away from a console type SPG setup and streamline my equipment. What is a efficient routing and placement of a SPG? I am open to DIR methodology (or any suggestions for that matter), GUE-F is in my future training plans. FYI I dive a Zeagle Express Tech BC.

The Express Tech lends itself to customization by the diver as good as a BPW. Add a d ring to your left hip with a slider and attach a boll snap to the SPG/hose near the fitting with cave line. Depending on how big you are a 24 or 26 inch hose is a good length. I use both depending on whether I'm diving singles or doubles. Then you can clip to the d ring on your hip or a chest. If you have any plans of going into advanced diving or just using a long hose or stage as TS&M noted get into the hip habit. Muscle memory is a big part of being comfortable and safe. After a few dives you won't have to think about reaching for it. It'll be instinctual.

I do not subscribe to the muscle memory philosophy. This only trains me to know how to do things one way and can lead to a form of mental rigidity that leaves me unprepared to deal with situations when they do change. Instead, I believe in training to be adaptable and understanding how systems work. I have no particular muscle memory as to where a SPG is clipped, but can locate one because I know all the possible spots it could be.

Clipping to the hip works well but you do have to unclip to read the gauge. With a bottle or two on the left there is a bit of equipment traffic to contend with but I do not find this onerous.

Routing to the left chest allows one to read the gauge without unclipping. With a bottle or two there is a bit of equipment traffic to contend with but I do not find this onerous.

Instead of crossing the body (which I would not do) to clip the right chest D ring; one can route the SPG from the right side. This avoids the left D ring traffic and separates the backgas SPG from the stage SPG's. I do this also and don't find it onerous.

One can route the SPG down either shoulder to the chest D ring on an even shorter hose, avoiding unclipping and crossing over. This requires a shorter HP hose but I can buy those online for the same price as a regular hose. Some Rebreathers are routed like this.

But... If you are going down the DIR/GUE pathway you will want to route the SPG along the tank to clip off on the left hip D ring - not because this is necessarily any better than the others but because that regime has a concept called "beginning with the end in mind" and standardization and that is the way they do it.

On my SPG, I'm not DIR, as my SPG is on a retractor, instead of fixed on hip d ring, as my left D ring is used for my slung bottles only.

What is a efficient routing and placement of a SPG?
You can see there is a combination of a general consensus, and personal preference. The consensus part is running the hose down your left side and clipping to the left hip D-ring. Works well, and even though I sometimes get annoyed with the 'equpment traffic' on that attachment point when I am slinging two deco bottles, it is not a particular problem. The key is to be patient when you clip and unclip the SPG. The personal preference part is the 'under the left arm and clipped to a left chest ring' approach. I use this approach periodically and I like it - with the proper length hose, I can see the SPG without unclipping anything and it is reasonably streamlined. Frankly, I infrequently use this approach when slinging bottles, but that is more out of habit than anything else.

I have one rig - a jacket BCD and a regulator with the SPG in a three gauge console - where I cross-clip to the lower right side of the BCD. It is on a retracvtor, so all I have to do is pull the console out a few inches and I can easily read the SPG. Definitely not DIR, but it works fine.

Finally, in an effort to get you to spend more money and help support the scuba economy, I will mention another approach that I personally use the most. Clip the SPG to the left hip D-ring. Dive with a computer that supports wireless air integration. Run a transmitter, on a 6 inch hose, off either the second HP port on your single first stage, or off the right post on doubles. That way, for most of the air checks, all you have to do is rotate your wrist slightly to see the pressure on the computer screen. I usually swim with my hands lightly clasped in front of me so the computer is easily seen with that slight rotation.

Go for the 24" hose down to the left hip D ring. That's the DIR way, so if you're going to take their course, you'll end up doing that anyway. There are a number of ways to attach a bolt snap. The 'official' way is with cave line, and that works well, but I sometimes us an o-ring or even better, small ring of inner tube You basically have to wrap it around and tuck it through itself, I'm not sure how to explain it. Its not as 'secure' as the cave line, but it does allow for a breakaway in the event of a snag, and because the SPG is attached to a hose its not going to disappear on you.

To me the SPG on a 24" hose clipped off is very convenient, streamlined, and easy to deal with. The hogarthian guys got this one right. (most things, really IMO)

While you're at it, why not go for a modified long hose arrangement for your 2nd stages? 5ft primary, 22-24" alternate on a bungie necklace. You'll love it.

The hogarthian guys got this one right...

For cave diving - which is what the Hogarthian rig was designed for.

I would argue that for rec diving, clipping off to the chest D ring is right(er?). In that realm there simply isn't a justification to clip and unclip an SPG every time one wants to read it. There isn't the same traffic or streamlining issues present in high level cave diving. There also isn't a justification for placing the SPG in a position wherein it can only be read using one hand instead of both (which clipping to the chest resolves).

But I do agree that if the OP is going to do fundies he should route it on the left hip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom