Spiegel grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcollins4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for safety advice for.my first wreck dive. Ive been diving about a year and have been to west palm beach, usvi, and a couple deep 100 cavern/springs in which i got disoriented narced and a little spooked. I also got aow trained with pitch black 4 ft vis water and was fine......my concern is the current, bc ive only dove mild boynton beach current

my concern is the current, bc ive only dove mild boynton beach current

The current CAN be bad almost anywhere. It’s a toss up as to if it’s significant on any given day.

The nice part about wreck diving is that you can escape the current by getting on the “less windy” side of the wreck(assuming significant relief). That won’t stop you from waving like a flag going up and down the anchor/mooring line though.

Thank you very much for the advice have a great day

I am looking for safety advice for.my first wreck dive. Ive been diving about a year and have been to west palm beach, usvi, and a couple deep 100 cavern/springs in which i got disoriented narced and a little spooked. I also got aow trained with pitch black 4 ft vis water and was fine......my concern is the current, bc ive only dove mild boynton beach current

The current at Spiegel can be a concern. Recently it was strong enough that we cancelled the trip and went to another location. With that being said, when we dive it we conduct a through safety brief and watch a video of the wreck for reference. We also provide a dive guide for your trip for free that is experienced at diving the SG. What's important is that you should dive with someone that has experience diving the SG and you'll be fine. It's a great wreck dive and at 510', it's big.

Hi, I live here and dive the SG a couple times a week, she is huge and always has something new to see.

Safety is relative to your ability. You have the mindset part down because your asking (I dig it)

Current is highly variable, sometimes it can be ripping at the surface and fine on the wreck, inverse or both but most of the time it's just some "current". Stay on the line, you will hear that 100 times from every dive operator. There is line from entry to the mooring ball called the granny line, stay on it. Stay on the down line and on the wreck the structure provides plenty of protection. If not already, in my opinion the wreck demands Nitrox to get more bottom time. You could take a deep specialty course and request the SG. Cover my boarding cost I'll take ya :)

Mindset is exactly right. There is a proven method that works for diving the SG. Dive with an experienced person. And I also agree with diving it on Nitrox too.

I just got ean cert recently and ill be diving with a free dive guide. i believe rainbow charters in late june. Thanks all for the tips, and if i got anything from this its DONT LET GO OF THE DAMN ROPE UNTIL I GET DOWN TO THE WRECK HAHA.....

Roger that ! Stay on the line , the granny line is your best friend ! Stick with your buddy
and have a good time . Be safe .
Sea Dwellers

Anyone else carry a Jon line on just about every dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom