Spiegel grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m diving the Spiegel on Thursday with Rainbow Reef...the only thing I would add from personal experience is always have a SMB, especially if there is current and a risk of separation.

Anyone else carry a Jon line on just about every dive?

I always have one. I use it if the rec divers need to pass through. Makes it safer and easier on everyone. Or if the current is ripping I will hold on to the line and clip in for backup.

Florida ocean diving: You've got that Gulf Stream happening all the time and even when it isn't, there's often a lot more current than you can fight. A good swimmer with good fins might fight a one-knot current, you can expect 2-3 knots, so there's nothing to be gained from trying to fight it.

Pretty much like beach swimming and finding a rip current: There's no way to win by fighting it. So, you do something else. You let it take you (assuming you're off rope) and you make sure you have an SMD or other signalling, and you've let the guys on the boat KNOW that they really need to take a head count and look for you.

For some reason, Florida dive boats in general seem to forget about taking head counts and routinely lose a lot of divers. (Not my opinion, that's how the USCG sees it.) Even DAN has tried to get them more proactive, using wrist bands with numbers, the way coal miners get numbered tags when they go into the mine. If the guys running your boat are using a clip board to actually COUNT the number of divers in and out...then they will find you, even if you have to bob around for a while.

I got a safety sausage online for my drift/shark dive and spiegel ....it is just loose line tied to the SS.....can i just deploy it with loose line or do i need a reel? And tips for tying it to me

Gonna need a reel or spool for deploying the SMB.

Honestly, not to sound like a dick, you probably ought to have a private DM/guide from what I can diagnose over the Internet. Not that you are an incompetent diver, but because you seem to have very limited experience in dynamic environments.

Know how your computer works.

Did a double dip on the Spiegel with new computer and a DM with a more aggressive computer. Wound up with some minor deco and an extra 10 minutes playing flag.

Ok thank you......never done drift diving deep so never used a safety sausage let alone at the high current spiegel. I just want to be prepared.....thank you for your tips

I just bought a reel to attach to safety sausage, i will practice deoloying it before i get to my drift dive.....thanks for the input and noooo i domt think you ate a dick haha......thats why i got.on here to get real opinions from really experienced divers so i can taylor my skills beyond the classroom and in the water.......YOU ALL ARE THE BEST AMAZING PEOPLE....THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Ive only been narced once at 100 feet in a cave and was spooked.....when i get to the SG and reach close to 110 feet im curious if i get narcosis with a current if there are any chances i could get messed up and not be able.to help.myself if noone is paying attention to me.....i am a travel nurse and will be diving with all strangers.......tips on narcosis at deep depths please?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom