Spiney Sea Urchins and bacteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Cianciosi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
You know when diving in the bahamas you will most definatly run into these little buggers. Thier neat to look at of of course most of us have to pick up. I was digging in a grotto for this lobster on free dive with gloves on. now being a smoker only have 30-40 seconds. i rammed by hand in it hole. Of course a spniey sea urchin was in there. OUCH-ok im tough. no big deal.nothing more than a couple of splinters. I was ok- so i thought.
As the next week went buy I had a bad spot on my knuckle of my favorite finger (you guess) and it was sore. I had been digging at it all week. Well its seems thier are micro (bioligical) particles in sea urchin spines. they dont go away. And were wrking thier way into my knucle. To top it off i got my scuba magazine and it read "man spends 5000 to remove sea urchin spines". At the time i did not have med insurance. Got out the jack danials (DO NOT DO THIS_ I WAS YOUNG AND DUMB) proceded with my dive knife and cut out the whole section affected. This was after 1 month of pain and i was fed up.
Also on another dive i got back on the boat - i had gloves on. I made a mistake of rubbing my eye after touching corel (yea i know were not suppose to) and it got into my eye. I called DAN. they told me what to to and got me fixed up. Dont touch your face until you wash up. i kept baby washies for when i came up.
Hope this helps someone. Watch them little urchins and dont touch them-JUST LOOK !

Don't you have dive insurance? Such should be covered.

Bad idea with the homemade surgery, unless you have an autoclave, and know sterile technique. That could give you more problems than the sea urchin spine. But if that was the case you could always tell your insurance company that you were trying to dig a wart out, and thats how you got the infection (they'll cover that since it's not dive related :wink: )

I took a microbiology class (designed for the health sciences), and chances are that trying to dig it out was a bad idea. Bacteria are actually wonderful, they all belong somewhere, and if they end up somewhere else, that is how problems begin.

Glad you're okay! :D

Back
Top Bottom