Spinoff PADI rumor/Tabel training-necesary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by MikeS
Does table training mean:
The concepts of nitrogen loading?
The concepts of DCS?
The concept of dive planning to reduce the risk of DCS?
Using a table(s) to plan a dive to reduce the risk of DCS?
Or all of the above?

In my opinion the concepts of nitrogen loading, DCS, and dive planning are extremely important. Anyone without a knowledge of these concepts should be strongly discouraged from diving other than under the direct supervision of a qualified instructor.

But these concepts could be taught using a computer for dive planning rather than a table. For example, when I first took trigonometry we had to use tables in the back of the textbook to make calculations. Today they use calculators (basically a computer) and the textbook doesn’t even have the tables.

One of the main reasons I feel so strongly that tables are extremely important is that they are an excellent tool for teaching nitrogen loading and dive planning concepts. You can learn how to operate a computer safely, but learning the tables teaches a lot more about how to dive safely.

I am not against the use of computers, only against abandoning the use of tables entirely in favor of the computers. Tables should continue to be taught to and used by all divers, regardless of whether they intend to dive with a computer. Computers can help you dive the plan, but learning tables also helps you learn how to plan the dive. Yes, the computers have plan mode, but I think it helps students learn and grasp the concepts better when they see it all laid out in table format. The process of READING tables helps them remember and internalize what they are doing and the depth/time relationship to DCS risk. (And checking tables along with your computer provides valuable backup for dealing with possible computer malfunctions.)

BTW, I feel that students today are not learning trigonometry as well since the time they have been allowed to use calculators. I use a calculator all the time, but I KNOW I wouldn't be nearly as effective in using it to solve problems if I hadn't first learned trigonometry and all my other math WITHOUT a calculator.

otter-cat
(My opinions would love to hear your opinions.:) )

Ok, Let me sharpen what I ment-
the course for "Holyday open water diver" is exactly the same as OW, including teachings about niterogen and narcosis. Only difference is with the table using. Graduates of this kind of course will not have to know how to use it, becouse they will have to dive with a leader. On the other hand, this kind of certification, may be given to graduates of normal courses, who dosen't seem to grasp the concepts of the table good enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom