Split Fin Bashing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree. The thought process is backwards. Buying a fin first commits you to whatever performance characteristics it offers.

First determine what type of propulsion you desire, and then pick a fin that best suits it, and then learn how to use it.

For some that's a paddle, for some that's a split, for some that's a free diving fin.

We are all talking about the negatives split fins present for kick/propulsion performance but they do have a place in recreational diving. Yes, they provide less propulsion (by design) by bleeding off resistance but that also creates less stress to the foot/leg. This may be an important factor for those with injuries or weakened legs. It may also be suitable for people who only occasionally dive and cannot properly condition the leg muscles to use paddles comfortably.

Last edited:
Wow, those are wacky looking fins, would love to see the physics explanation behind them, not just the teliological.
Magic.

They work, and work well. They don't silt, they provide exceptional maneuvering control, and given a second to accelerate, provide power to fight even the strongest currents. I really don't care about the "explaination" behind them. They work, and work well.

Combat divers use split fins? Can anyone validate that?

A 1-minute search on Youtube shows this. If the underwater scene wasn't clear enough, then at 1:43, see the guy walks out of the water with what looks like Scubapro split fins hung off his arm. If it's good enough for the US Navy SEALs, then it's good enough for many divers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jmaPEaTzoQ

4.19 shows clearly underwater but I can't tell if they are :lol:silting :doh:

I have a navy diver friend and he confirmed that they can dive whatever they want after training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife bought a pair of split fins and loves them. She doesn't scuba but she spends as long a time in the water snorkeling as the temp permits and never has tired legs anymore. I like my Plana Avanti's and have no plans to change at this time. Maybe in a few years as I get well into my sixties my legs will weaken to the point the splits become the fin for me. Who knows?

Last edited:
I am 68 with a spinal nerve issue with very slight weakness in right leg. Two dives on my splits on Sunday felt better than 1 dive with my Quatros on Saturday. But then the glassy seas on Sunday felt better then the 4-6 on Saturday too. :)

I bought a pair of split fins on a cruise ship to snorkel the Caribbean for about $70 about 6 years ago. Don't remember the brand, but I'm a picky guy and when I bought it, it seemed to be decent quality. It was the biggest piece of garbage I ever owned. Easy to kick but NO power whatsoever. From that point on I wrote off split fins and considered them fins for the weak and the lame.

My dive buddy (and younger brother) started having problems with his ankle. Our LDS sold him a ScubaPro Twin Jet to help. A strange thing started happening during our dives, WE COULD NOT KEEP UP WITH HIM!!! During lobster dives in the keys we cover a lot of ground. He seemed to put very little effort and was sustaining high speeds for long periods of time. He outpaced us during long surface swims no matter what the current. I thought I was just getting old and fat. At some point I thought to myself, maybe its the split fins?? Based on my previous experience with split fins there was no way it could be the fins, I was in denial.

I borrowed his fins and did a series of tests to compare them against my Scubapro Jet Sport. I was shocked. Granted the Jet Sport is not the best fin in the world, but the Twin Jet split fin substantially outperformed my blade and required little to no effort. Not only was there a difference, there was a HUGE difference. When putting a leisurely, normal effort on my blades, it took me 45 seconds to get to the end of the pool. Using almost no effort on the Twin jets I reached the end in 35 seconds. On full power, I reached the end in about 20 seconds on both types, but the splits required way less effort. Using the blades I was completely exhausted and slowing down at the 80% mark. On the splits I maintained a constant speed and turned around and could do it again and again. I did all sorts of other tests including a couple runs holding a fin in front of me to create drag. The comparison made me realize how crappy my Jet Sport was. They felt awkward and unnatural in comparison to the Twin Jet. I also noticed that I "surge" when cruising on the blades. The lane tiles on the pool floor provide an excellent reference point. I was creating drag in between thrusts. On the splits I cruised on a consistent even pace, and felt no drag. Maybe I have bad technique, but the splits made it go away. Also noticed that the blades put a significant amount of strain/pressure on my knees. No strain on the splits.

After this test and being outpaced by my brother on every dive I was convinced. After doing more research I decided to buy the Apollo Bio Pro as it seemed to fare slightly better than the Twin Jets based on reviews, I wasn't crazy about the look of the Twin Jets, and I didn't like the large toe hole of the Twins as my foot would dig into it and pinch. Although I'm sure there are disadvantages to splits, for what I do the advantages clearly out weight the disadvantages.

What I also learned is that all splits are NOT created equal. I'm guessing split haters out there probably had a similar experience to mines. Many divers likely tried out the split design with a cheap fin before dropping 200 bucks on a quality one, and subsequently called BS to the design based on the cheap fin finding. Its a shame that cheap split fins likely ruined the reputation of quality split fins. Based on my first encounter with a split fin, I can see how a cheap split fin can be the cause of a boat getting smaller on a long surface swim and why it probably coined the term "death wings". Cheap blades would likely not have the same issue.

Either way, I'm a repentant split hater and love my new splits.

Last edited:
It is fun to bash anything that is different than your own set up.

I was one of those kids who couldnt sit indian style. i say in an awkward "W" shape with my legs.

I still cant sit indian style with any degree of comfort. I'm soooo jealous of some of my dive buddies awesome frog kicks. Unfortunately, my legs dont swing that way. Dont get me wrong, im a decent athlete.....run throw hit....track a ball going 200 miles an hour.....all day every day. BUT I cant frog kick to save my life.

I have my splits, and given the amount of ground i have to cover on a dive sometimes, i really like them. every time i use my other non-splits, i get leg fatigue/cramps quickly (no whimpy calfs here, run stairs three times a week).

I dont like to spend money just to spend it. Got my eye on some scubapro gorilla's, but cant justify dropping the money on a whim to see if if they are cool or not.

Make fun of me all you want, we can talk trash between dives, all smiles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom