split fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xsports

Reaction score
so i went to the LDS today and i was told that i should invest is some split fins.... I just bought my basic gear but i didnt go with the splits....I dont mind getting the splits but im just not sure what i will gain from them.....anyone out there like to help...

Not sure what you'll gain, but the shop will make $100... Better get some soon.

I love how salespeople try to spin spending money as an "investment". As if you'll get a rate of return on expensive scuba fins!

Splits are supposedly more efficient -- more power with less effort -- and some people swear by them. I'm a fairly new diver myself, don't have split fins, and like what I have just fine. I'm somewhat intrigued by people who say switching to split fins had a significant effect on their SAC rate. But I'm not ready to "invest".

You definitely need the split-fins, you are not a diver without them!!! Better yet, buy two sets, and both with springs, because the OEM straps will break as soon as you enter the water!!! :eyebrow:

My understanding of the subject, and my experince with the split fins, it that they are easier on the leg muscles than a full blade fin. Of course the flip-side is they do not have the power that a full blade fin has either. I think they work well for some types of diving, and not so well for others. Where they shine are nice leisurely dives, for example: the long dive without current off a boat. You can paddle them forever and they will serve you well. Where I have seen them not shine are for any dive with current, or shore diving. These dives require a lot of effort to get the fins to move you through the current or through the surf. So, basically, decide what type of diving you will do more of and purchase accordingly.

By the way, since I do more and more dives with current and out through the surf I'm going to buy a pair of jet fins or turtles and save my splits for the vacation dives.

Too me split fins seem more efficient. Its the difference between riding a 10 speed in a high gear and riding a old 72 beach cruiser, up a hill.. Its more with less(At least in my opinion). Now all this is on a calm day. But let their be some strong currents... mmm.. then comes the issues. I will going with the two pair option since i borrowed the last full fin i used, but will be buying some this weekend. So i can decide which one to wear depending on whats going on out in the water.

well i must type slow but i guess i just repeated what rogue diver said. I gotta start typing faster.

Do a search, this has been discussed often, and recently. Some of the recent postings included links to empirical research on fins. Splits can be more efficient, less tiring, just as powerful, useful in currents, and usable for alternative kicks. Advantages: you will be less tired, less likely to suffer cramps, and use less air. Some people around here don't like them because they are not approved DIR/GUE gear, but as far as anyone can tell, they've never tried them and don't know what they are talking about. The proof is in trying them. A good LDS will let you try them in the pool and show you how they are supposed to be used. Check it out and see what you think. See this thread and some of the information referred to in it: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=162021&highlight=full+fin.

I've done 400 dives and have tried just about every make and model of fin. The heck with all the efficiency ratings, etc....the biggest benefit of split fins is that they put less pressure on your calfs. Particularly with new divers, who tend to bicycle kick, the split fins still allow them to go somewhere, where the blade fins won't.

Beware though, if you DO go with split fins, it's sort of a one-way street; blade fins, after you get used to splits, feel like you are wearing plywood boards on your feet. Also, all split fins are not alike. The Apollo Bio fins tend to be the most flexible, the SP Twin jets somewhere in the middle, and the Atomics the most stiff.

Some divers I know, however, swear by blade fins, saying that it gives them more power and allows them to "back up" underwater. That's never been an issue for me, I do mostly frog kicks and (less often) flutter kicks.

Back
Top Bottom