split fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

girldiverllc:
I dive for pleasure and hit the gym for a workout. So, for me, I can't imagine diving anything except splits. AND...I dive in a high current environment...

We did a recent 1/3 mile surface swim in 5-6 foot seas (my wife/buddy wanted to go exploring)...

You were saying about diving and workouts...? :)

(oh... did it in Atomic splits...)

I've heard many people (usually split finners) tell me that paddle fins are much more a workout. That is most certainly true, but only if you try to use both styles the same way.

It is quite difficult to unscrew a screw with a hammer, and it is similarly difficult to drive a nail with a screwdriver. Both a screwdriver and a hammer are hand tools, but they are not generally used for the same purpose.

Split fins are excellent for the types of finning they were made for, and paddle fins are ill-suited for that style. Paddle fins, however, have their own types of finning at which they positively excel, and for those styles, it is split fins that are ill-suited. The thing to remember is that there is not a single fin perfect for all styles and situations, so you see what fits your diving best and go with that (or you buy more than one pair of fins to better accomodate your diverse diving styles).

For the record, I almost never feel like I get any sort of workout when diving my XL Jets. The only exceptions would be when I'm in situations in which I have to flutter kick like a banshee, which certainly tires my legs quickly. That only rarely comes up, and then only in extreme situations (such as finning into a firehosing current).

divingjd:
... Some people around here don't like them because they are not approved DIR/GUE gear, but as far as anyone can tell, they've never tried them and don't know what they are talking about.

:rofl3:

Ok. I know it is hard for some people, when others don't like the same things you do.
But sometimes people try several options and come to a different conclusion.

For myself, I tried several types, and have owned 3 sets of fins, one cheap plastic pair, one pair of black ScubaPro TwinJets, and a pair of the regular Jets. I hated the cheap plastic pair, mostly because the foot pockets were hard and uncomfortable. Then I bought the twinjets, and they were much more comfortable than the previous pair. They were very easy on the lower leg muscles and joints, and extremely comfortable. Then I got the Jets, and I was using both the splits and non-splits.
I can understand the arguments people use for the splits, and I used to use the same ones myself. But here are some of the reasons I decided to stop using the splits:
- Everyone talks about being able to go FAST in them. And, while I used to say the same thing, this was not very useful to me. The real benefit I would say, is that I could go FASTGER with LESS EFFORT. But, I quickly came to realize that I don't want to go fast, it is is not as pleasant, and unless all your buddies like to go at warp speed all the time, you are only going to be leaving them behind. So, the only reason that I could think of that I would REALLY need to go fast is in an emergency, like rescuing someone. But, I found that for me the splits did not do nearly as well when towing another diver as my Jets did. So the times that I really needed to be fast, I was not able to be in the splits.
- The kicks. I know (and agree) that everyone says they can do any kick in their splits, but I think this is misleading. Anyone can move their foot through the motions of any kick with any fin on, or no fin on. I can backkick with no fins on in the pool and actually move backwards, that doesn't mean it is the best choice. Sure I can frog kick in splits, but it was not as efficient as when I used the Jets. I had to do 2-3 kicks with the splits to equal one with the Jets. That didn't seem like fun to me.
Also, the splits do give off a huge vortex behind them. I was amazed to see that from over 15 feet from the bottom, I was stirring up silt when I was not perfectly horizontal. You can get close to the bottom and not stir things up with splits, but most people I see dive at a 45 degree angle, and the effect from that is worse in splits than with most paddles. I also have an easier time controlling my position in the water with the Jets then I did with the splits. They give me better side-to-side control, and I can feel what they are doing in the water. Most splits (even the stiffer ones) are still pretty floppy, and were not as good for me when trying to get close to something, or positioning myself for a picture.
- Extra gear. I didn't want to have to travel with 2 sets of fins, so I picked the one that I felt could do the most good for me in the most situations I would find myself in, and for me that was the Jets. Very soon after getting the Jets I found that the splits were never coming out of the closet anymore.

Everyone can and should decide for themselves, and everyone is going to have their own preference. Just because I like the paddles does not mean I am saying that Paddles are perfect and Splits suck. I think the splits are good, but for me I found that the Jets were slightly better in areas that were important to me. So, given the choice, I am not going to choose the option that is not quite as good, and costs twice as much. It wasn't easy, I paid over $200 dollars for the TwinJets, and just sold them at a great price to a Scubaboard member. In my opinion, the Splits are great for speed and effeciency (when using the right kick), very comfortable, and for most people seem to be easier on the knees and other joints and muscles. But, that effeciency is lost when doing kicks that the fins were not designed for, and I have better control when using the paddles.

Jasonmh:
I can understand the arguments people use for the splits, and I used to use the same ones myself. But here are some of the reasons I decided to stop using the splits:
Jason, your post should be a "sticky" somewhere.

I've also tried multiple sets of plastic paddle fins by various manufacturers, a pair of Apollo Bio-Fins (once, when they first came out) and of course the "classic" Jets. The Bio-Fins felt very floppy on my feet and did not give me nearly the level of feedback that I like to get from fins. The large side rails interefered with my frog kick (which I use probably 90+% of the time), and the split section created turbulence when I tried to move the fins "flat" to set them up for the next stroke. The guy that I borrowed these from (a newly certified diver) kicked up just as much sand from the bottom as everyone else from his group - probably more, since he was always zooming around the reef as fast as he could go.

Efficient finning has more to do with proper mechanics than it has to do with fin choice. Some fins allow a diver to get away with having poor technique, but that doesn't make them "better" fins. I can use almost any set of paddle fins for all the kicks (flutter, frog, back). Certain fins make this easier, certain others not. I prefer the Jets for drysuit diving or when I am using doubles. In a single tank rig, almost any paddle fins will do.

The thing that bothers me most about the split fins is that they are often sold as a panacea for any and all problems related to finning - "got a problem, buy a different set of fins". I'd bet that most divers could improve their overall efficiency with the fins they have, if they would just spend a little time learning and practicing the correct techniques. The problem is that most people don't seem willing to do that. They'd rather drop $200 on Yet Another piece of dive gear, than spend that same money (or perhaps less!) learning how to properly use the gear they've got.

Alas, I'm afraid that's something that will never change.

Jasonmh:
:rofl3:
So, the only reason that I could think of that I would REALLY need to go fast is in an emergency, like rescuing someone. But, I found that for me the splits did not do nearly as well when towing another diver as my Jets did. So the times that I really needed to be fast, I was not able to be in the splits.

I have black SP Twin Jets and I love them, but I have to agree with you on this. I was cursing my Twin Jets during my rescue course when I had to tow people in all day. They work fine for pushing a tired diver, but are terrible during a tank tow. I was working my butt off and hardly moving.

DIR-Atlanta:
Efficient finning has more to do with proper mechanics than it has to do with fin choice. Some fins allow a diver to get away with having poor technique, but that doesn't make them "better" fins.

I can understand your perspective, given your chosen school of thought, and actually agree with some of your contentions (such as the above)...

However...

DIR-Atlanta:
The guy that I borrowed these from (a newly certified diver) kicked up just as much sand from the bottom as everyone else from his group - probably more, since he was always zooming around the reef as fast as he could go.

I've seen the above behavior in many divers, new and otherwise, wearing both paddles and fins... The biggest violator of sand/reef that I've seen to date was an experienced diver/photographer, kicking the crap out a reef trying to get his best shot.
Point is, bad diving etiquette/habits has nothing to do with the fins you're wearing...
Implying that it was the fault of the splits this newbie was wearing is simply disingenuous.

DIR-Atlanta:
The thing that bothers me most about the split fins is that they are often sold as a panacea for any and all problems related to finning - "got a problem, buy a different set of fins".

This is simply not true.
Most of the splits advocates on here have taken great pains to make the point that "they are NOT for everyone, or for every purpose..." They help with fatigue, they help with cramping, they make flutter kicks more effortless. They are not for tight spaces/maneuvering.

DIR-Atlanta:
I'd bet that most divers could improve their overall efficiency with the fins they have, if they would just spend a little time learning and practicing the correct techniques.
We are entirely in agreement here... (and it applies to both paddles *and* splits)

DIR-Atlanta:
The problem is that most people don't seem willing to do that. They'd rather drop $200 on Yet Another piece of dive gear, than spend that same money (or perhaps less!) learning how to properly use the gear they've got.

Alas, I'm afraid that's something that will never change.

Not unlike pushing big $$$$ on a specific (Big 'H') BP/W, long hose octo, and cannister light?

I'm not looking to get into a pi$$ing contest... Just the opposite.

Bottom line is try them both... use what works best for you... And, in the process, try not to beat up too badly on your buddy's choices...

Hehe, speaking of Jets vs. splits while doing tows and tired diver assists, when I took Rescue, we breezed through the tows (wearing Jets). We didn't want to get *too* bored waiting for the two guys wearing splits, so we decided to just keep going.

We lapped them. :D

(Of course, I'm not wearing my Jets for the snorkel swim test, but for tows, they were indeed wonderful.)

I tried split fins & didn't like them at all as I felt they were much less efficient than regular fins. However, I think it's like asking "What tastes better, blueberry or applie pie?" Any LDS should let you try them out & compare yourself.

duct-tape.jpg

TheFoggyMask:

Wow, that's cool! I've never seen split duct tape before! I bet it takes much less effort to repair my transmission with than regular "paddle" duct tape. And in half the time!

I use paddles and cramped A LOT when I first started diving. My "finning" muscles were not up to snuff and my technique was crappy. I dove more and fixed those two problems rather than going the new gear route.

I've never used splits so I don't know whether I'd like them or not. I like what I have right now and don't see much point in getting anything new. On the other hand, there is no evidence that people who use splits are devil worshippers or child molesters so I guess I'll let them keep using whatever is comfortable for them.

For the original poster, don't let your dive shop sell you a bunch of stuff you may not need. If they are willing to swap your barely used gear for new for a modest fee, and you like the new gear, you might consider it. Otherwise, what are you going to do with two sets of fins? Do you have four feet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom