Split Fins?? Controversial Topic???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveBF

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I'm starting to think that split fins are a controversial topic and I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here...however, My instructor has a pair of twin jets and swears by them. I tried them in the pool and liked them as well and in fact got a bright yellow pair for father's day. When I got to the Keys this summer I got a bit of a lecture by one of the DMs on the dive boat about how dangerous and deadly they are. I think she used the term "Death Wings"

I don't seem to have any trouble finning up current in them and now that I'm used to them find them quite comfortable and certainly see no appreciable difference in air consumption-if anything I'm using way less air but that is likely because I've placed a lot of focus on buoyancy control and have been able to drop 4lbs of lead. So I'm wondering what's the big deal? Or is this just an opinion thing and you either love them or hate them. Thoughts?

Cheers!
Steve

I have both paddle and split dins. I prefer the split fins because I use less energy. Paddle fins are my choice when I want to frog kick or better maneuverability. I simply choose the best fin for the dive plan.

Pretty much love them or dislike them. They are not death fins. But they are optimized for unfit divers with poor skills. You already paid for them so if you like them keep diving.

That said I used to dive them and don't miss them. I dive jet fin style (Hollis F1's) and prefer them for the diving practices that I follow.

If you like them, who cares what some instructor that went to a diploma mill in the keys thinks about them?

Party on, Garth.

When I got to the Keys this summer I got a bit of a lecture by one of the DMs on the dive boat about how dangerous and deadly they are. I think she used the term "Death Wings"

They are less than optimal for some types of diving for a variety of reasons. They tend to be very popular for OW divers, but not so good for overhead environments (OE), most notably cave and wreck diving. Some people consider them downright dangerous for those types of activities and the debate has been pretty polarizing.

For OW use, I would say to use whatever you like and feel comfortable with. If you decide to move towards more technical diving, expect that you may have to reconsider certain gear choices. In the meantime, dive what you like and have fun doing it!

So I'm starting to think that split fins are a controversial topic and I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here...however, My instructor has a pair of twin jets and swears by them. I tried them in the pool and liked them as well and in fact got a bright yellow pair for father's day. When I got to the Keys this summer I got a bit of a lecture by one of the DMs on the dive boat about how dangerous and deadly they are. I think she used the term "Death Wings"

Death Wings? Hmm... A bit over zealous for a DM in the Keys, where the diving is mostly easy shallow reef dives. I'd laugh in that DM's face. She probably has a long resume of dive experience to back up her boldness?

How many people have actually died because of their fin? Hmm...

To answer the OP. Use whatever fins work for you...

Goodness gracious, somebody more given to hyperbole than I am . . .

There are no "death fins". Splits are easy to kick, but don't make it easy to do precise maneuvering, and it's hard to avoid silting if you are swimming close to a fine sediment bottom, even if you know the right kicks to do that. I don't like them for OW students, because they don't make good horizontal stabilizers. But they are far from "death fins".

Goodness gracious, somebody more given to hyperbole than I am . . .

There are no "death fins".

Right. And if there were, "fins of death" would sound so much better.

I have a pair that got me a 5 on the DM snorkel skill. Great for swimming fast in a straight line. I use conventional fins for everything else. Fins of death? Generally the more hyperbole and the louder the point the less real thought, understanding and experience is behind it.

Back
Top Bottom