Split Fins?? Controversial Topic???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Death Wings? Hmm... A bit over zealous for a DM in the Keys, where the diving is mostly easy shallow reef dives. I'd laugh in that DM's face. She probably has a long resume of dive experience to back up her boldness?

How many people have actually died because of their fin? Hmm...

To answer the OP. Use whatever fins work for you...

Yeah I thought it was sort of odd... she quite literally sat me down at a table by the dock and started with "we need to talk about your equipment...." I could have understood it if I was a student but I had close to 70 dives under my belt by that time. I wasn't offended because she seemed to be genuinely concerned with my safety but it sure made my wife who bought them for me as a father's day present feel like heel.

I had kind of a similar experience, but in the other direction. I had several hundreds dives when one day, a man came up to me while I was unpacking my gear and began chatting. He asked me why I was using "those old fins", and showed me his splits and told me they were much nicer, and I should try them. He then scrutinized my rig and said, "I'm kind of surprised that, with as many dives as you have, you haven't started using a pony bottle yet." I smiled and thanked him for his input, and went on to dive in my well-used, antiquated and inadequate gear :)

I gotta get me some of these "Death Fins."

Death fins!!!! Shudder!!! TO be honest Ive never tried split fins. Im using the avanti quattro and its a great fin with good maneuverability and good thrust. Thinking of getting a pair of Hollis F1's, although the apollo biofins have had some good reviews. Anyone own a pair?

So I'm starting to think that split fins are a controversial topic and I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here...however, My instructor has a pair of twin jets and swears by them. I tried them in the pool and liked them as well and in fact got a bright yellow pair for father's day. When I got to the Keys this summer I got a bit of a lecture by one of the DMs on the dive boat about how dangerous and deadly they are. I think she used the term "Death Wings"

I don't seem to have any trouble finning up current in them and now that I'm used to them find them quite comfortable and certainly see no appreciable difference in air consumption-if anything I'm using way less air but that is likely because I've placed a lot of focus on buoyancy control and have been able to drop 4lbs of lead. So I'm wondering what's the big deal? Or is this just an opinion thing and you either love them or hate them. Thoughts?

Cheers!
Steve

Nonsense, a pretty stupid thing to say. If you like them and they work for you then cool, go diving.

I have both types and use both types routinely. I see no big difference other than it is easier to kick with the splits. I routinely hover in lakes, quarries and the ocean 6" to 1' off the bottom and use a frog kick with my splits and don't silt up as much as others with regular fins as they are not using a frog kick.

If you are in tight quarters such as a cave or inside a wreck and need very precise kicking, then don't use the splits. 95% of all divers can easily use splits.

Besides, its not the fin that makes the diver, its the diver's skill ability that makes the difference. If you like the fin you are using then keep at it.

Death fins!!!! Shudder!!! TO be honest Ive never tried split fins. Im using the avanti quattro and its a great fin with good maneuverability and good thrust. Thinking of getting a pair of Hollis F1's, although the apollo biofins have had some good reviews. Anyone own a pair?

The Hollis F1's are superb. They are my fins until I wear them out, then I will replace with the same...

As far as I am concerned, spilt fins ARE death wings. My buddy has them. I have tried to get him to change them. Noooooo he will not. Then after a dive one day he put them on the roof of the vehicle. They fell striking him in the head. As I started laughing and pointing at him, I tripped on the damn thing and hit my head on the vehicle. Death fins describes them well.

Three of my favorite dive partners dive with splits, Force Fins, and budget Aqua-lungs respectively. I use F-1's. We dive pretty regular together and none of us have come close to death because of our fins.

If there is a specific place or dive that makes something dangerous, like fins, rest assured we will consider changing fins. However, for the 60-110' dives that fill out our log books, I think we can stick with what works for each of us...our fins! They are better than drysuit boots!

Hundreds of dives on split fins, (bright yellow by the way), and I've never died. I've NEVER heard of anything of the sort of "death wings". They are like butter when kicking, easy on the knees, have never had an issue with currents, and no issue maneuvering. Have traveled the half the world with them and work great for me. This issue of the DM giving you "a lecture". She was out of line and I would have brought it to the Captains attention promptly.

Back
Top Bottom