Split Fins?? Controversial Topic???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i had some tusa xpert zooms.
Sweetie, this is one of those things you have to disclose to someone before you get in a relationship with them. It's way up there on the list - even more important than "I have an STD", "I am currently married" or "I have 8 kids, 6 of them with ADHD".

oh, i didn't mention the discharge and itchiness? my bad.

Never mind now. Can't touch that. And don't think I really want to come to think of it.

Boy this thread really is dying as far as staying on topic. SEE They are fins of death!

BTW should have told the DM to wait til she sees your BC made from hot water bottles.

I love my OMS Slipstreams (lightweight monoprene, better for travel, not too long, great for frog kick)

I love my Apollo Bio Fins (heavier and more negative for wearing drysuit, faster than my OMS slipstreams, easy on the knees, great control)

They both work great, they are both fantastic fins.

Fins are fins are fins are fins to 99% of most divers so don't get caught up by elitists who bash what they don't have the ability to dive with.

Back on topic.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the divemaster had an old pair of fins she wanted to sell?

i had some tusa xpert zooms. then, really early one morning when i got up to go pee, i found them poised outside my bedroom door. they tried to look like they were just going to get something to drink, but i saw the really big knife they had in one pocket and knew they were fins of death, trying to do me in. plus the music from 'psycho' *and* the music from 'jaws' was playing.

so i sold them to a friend and bought jets. haven't heard from that friend in a while, but i assume he's fine...

OMFG!!! That is the exact same kind of fin that tried to take me and my friend out. They were yellow and black and filled with rage. Coincidence????

Rodae's Scuba Lab actually conducted extensive water tests in 2003. Here's part 1 of their conclusion, but only for those who don't care if reality conflicts with their opinion.
SCUBA LAB FIN REVIEW
MANUFACTURER & MODELo:p>
OVERALL
SCORE
OVERALL
ERGONOMIC
COURSE
SUBJECTIVE
COURSE EFFICIENCY
AVERAGE OF MAX. SUSTAINED SPEEDS
Apollo Sports Bio Fin Pro
3.3*
1.1​
1.1​
1.1​
2.8 mph
Atomic Aquatics Splitfin
3.6​
1.0​
1.5​
1.1​
2.7 mph
Genesis Scuba Blitz
4.6​
1.5​
1.7​
1.4​
2.2 mph
Oceanic Vortex V-6
4.3​
1.4​
1.5​
1.4​
2.8 mph
Oceanic Vortex V-12
3.4​
1.3​
1.1​
1.0​
2.8 mph
Scubapro Twin Jet (Black)
3.4​
1.1​
1.1​
1.2​
3.0 mph
Scubapro Twin Jet (Colors)
3.4​
1.2​
1.0​
1.2​
2.7 mph
Sherwood Scuba Trek
3.7​
1.1​
1.5​
1.1​
2.3 mph
Tusa XPERT Zoom
3.7​
1.1​
1.3​
1.3​
2.5 mph
Mares Volo (best-ever paddle fin)
4.4​
1.7​
1.2​
1.5​
2.1 mph
* Apollo Bio Fin Pro - Best overall tested fin ever! Scuba Lab
FIN PERFORMANCE SCORING
1 = Outstanding
2 = Good to Excellent
3 = Adequate
4 = Marginal
5 = Unacceptable
SCUBALAB REVIEW
Fin Manufactures make all kinds of claims about the underwater swimming efficiency of their fins, usually based on little or no data.
But there are clear differences in fin efficiency that can be documented by conducting hundreds of controlled, head-to-head evaluations.
So far Scuba Lab has performed over 3,000 such test. Here's what the data says:

• The propeller fins tested for this article performed, on average, 27 percent more efficiently than the best paddle fin.
  • The performance of the best propeller fin we've ever tested is 142 percent more efficient than the worst paddle fin.
  • The performance of the best paddle fin we've ever tested is 64 percent more efficient than the worst paddle fin.
So, yes, some fins are clearly better than others; one fin technology produces better efficiency than the other.
But it takes more than marketing claims to sort out the differences. It takes rigorous testing and hard data.
And you're holding in your hands the only place where you can find it.

BREATHING RATES IN PSI PER MINUTE

So I'm starting to think that split fins are a controversial topic and I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here...however, My instructor has a pair of twin jets and swears by them. I tried them in the pool and liked them as well and in fact got a bright yellow pair for father's day. When I got to the Keys this summer I got a bit of a lecture by one of the DMs on the dive boat about how dangerous and deadly they are. I think she used the term "Death Wings"

I'm calling BS. What dive op are you saying this was with?

Scubalab ... "reported tests of .... products as independent, objective and unbiased, when in fact no data or documentation existed to support results of [some] fin tests .... Nature's Wings [who then was marketing licenses to fin manufacturers] paid the then-Director of Rodale's ScubaLab and author of the articles for approximately four years of fin tests. Some of the tests were developed by Nature's Wings." This information was obtained through discover in a Federal Court case of the time Bob Evans Designs, Inc. vs. Rodale Press, Inc.

Back
Top Bottom