Split Fins WHich ones?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCheckman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking into buying a pair of split fins and I think I have it narrowed down to the Apollo Bio fin and the Atomic Splitfins. I thought that the Scuba Pro looked really wide.
I was told that the Atomics were much stiffer so you would work harder. I am pretty fit and a strong swimmer. Any suggestions to confuse me some more? :)

I had Apollo Bio fins and they were OK. I later bought JetFins (not splits) and find them much better for everything (power, frog kick, and to back kick).

I have only tried the Atomics, but I've handled the Apollos. They are a bit stiffer for sure, but stiffer than butter is still soft :)

Try both and see what works best for you.

rakkis:
I have only tried the Atomics, but I've handled the Apollos. They are a bit stiffer for sure, but stiffer than butter is still soft :)

Try both and see what works best for you.

Unfortunately I don't have the option to try before I buy.
Thanks for your input. :)

If you think about it from a material engineering perspective, some force is lost to cause the deformation of a stiffer material. A more elastic material would yield easier, making more energy available for propulsion. Apparently reviews of speed indicate that the Apollos are more efficient at such a transfer of energy.

Either would work well for recreational diving. What about fit? Is either of them more comfortable for you? Go with that one.

That being said, I <3 my Atomics. I am teetering with anticipation until the day the legendary Atomic Aquatics BCD is released.

I have the Apollo Pro's and love them. All rubber material makes them extremely comfortable and the speed and how easy you go through the water is amazing. No stess on the legs at all while your are passing your friends in the water with half the effort.

Jets have their place but my place is mainly recreational diving and I am not screwing around with Drysuits and lines. Love the Bio's. I have access to the Jet's also and prefer the Bio's everytime.

With that said, I haven't tried the Atomics but a friend of mine returned his after using my bio's because of the comfort. I know they are both good fins and you won't be making a mistake either way.

BTW: They do make the biofin "XT" which is slightly stiffer also

tjmills:
I have the Apollo Pro's and love them. All rubber material makes them extremely comfortable and the speed and how easy you go through the water is amazing. No stess on the legs at all while your are passing your friends in the water with half the effort.

Jets have their place but my place is mainly recreational diving and I am not screwing around with Drysuits and lines. Love the Bio's. I have access to the Jet's also and prefer the Bio's everytime.

With that said, I haven't tried the Atomics but a friend of mine returned his after using my bio's because of the comfort. I know they are both good fins and you won't be making a mistake either way.

Do you have the black ones or the yellow? Is there a difference?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom