Split Fins WHich ones?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regular Bios. I DID have the chance to try them all out. The XT's and twin jets took more work. There was actually quite a bit of difference, suprisingly so. You might consider the regular (not split) jets. Much cheaper than the Bios and you have more manueverability. Splits are good for a fast flutter kick and not too much else. Frog kicks are almost impossible and forget about backing up.

I have the Biofin Pro in Black. Don't make the mistake of thinking the yellow ones are stiffer. They are not. (sorry Frank) The XT version is the higher derometer (stiffer). I am also a fan of the spring strap ALOT. I didn't get the Apollo ones but bought the cheap $30 pair and switched them out from the rubber straps. 110 dives later and they are still like new.

BTW: I completely don't agree with the comment on the frog kick. I use it all the time. Its different but it still works about as well if not better for me. I will admit that they don't back up nearly as well but I don't back up that often unless taking pictures close up. The trade off is minor in comparison to how easy they are diving for me.

Check out www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/index.htm for a breakdown on the models/colors/etc. I would also endorse www.Scubatoys.com as the best price and service you would get anywhere. (man they have to start paying me for this advertisement)

tjmills:
Don't make the mistake of thinking the yellow ones are stiffer. They are not. (sorry Frank)
According to the manufacturer..
"Yellow does have a hardness level closer to 70 and out of the water it does feel just a touch more rigid. Some people prefer the Yellow option because the slight increase in hardness level means they can feel it a little when kicking."

The yellow Scubapro twin jets (my wife has those) are softer than the black, but apparently not so with bio-fins.

I just bought a pair of Apollo Bio fins ( yellow ) and they're great. Used them during a week in Bonaire and I was very pleased with how they perform. I mostly used a short flutter kick as suggested by the manufacturer but a frog kick seemed to be ok too.
A dive master on a few of my boat dives told me they're considered one of the top fins. They're a little heavy to pack compared to my Cressi Rondines but they sure are comfortable and work very well in the water. I haven't tried many other brands or styles so I don't have much to compare them to.
I got 'em from Scuba Toys. They recommended the standard strap which I'm pleased with. It's nice of them to provide the ScubaBoard members discount which I asked for and it covered the cost of rush shipping.
During my trip to Bonaire I often checked out what other divers used and I saw every kind of fin you can imagine. Not one brand or style seemed to be the most popular, but it was the first trip I've been on where I saw a number of people using the odd-looking Force fins.
Bio fins have received great reviews for years and that influenced my decision to give them a try, but on this site you'll read alot of praise for Jets. They seem to be very popular.
Rex

OK I think I aqm now leaning toward getting the Atomic Splitfin liquid blue. I am told that they are slightly positively bouyant. Does anyone have any experience with this fin?
Thanks.
Sheryl

747pilot:
Splits are good for a fast flutter kick and not too much else. Frog kicks are almost impossible and forget about backing up.

There's a load crap. I have the Aqua Lung V-tek and have no problem what so ever doing frog kicks, skulling, and backing up with them.

SCheckman:
OK I think I aqm now leaning toward getting the Atomic Splitfin liquid blue. I am told that they are slightly positively bouyant. Does anyone have any experience with this fin?
Thanks.
Sheryl
I have the Atomics in yellow, and I've been happy with them. I've been considering a pair of Apollo Pros, as well, because a) I like the all-rubber comfort factor, b) spring straps.

However, it seems Atomic has come out with a new fin, using the same polymer as the Liquid Blue (so I assume the same stiffness and buoyancy properties), as well as a new spring strap (spring 2007), retro-fittable to any Atomic. Additionally, it's a very cool looking new color: "Smoke on the Water." http://www.atomicaquatics.com/

BKP:
I have the Atomics in yellow, and I've been happy with them. I've been considering a pair of Apollo Pros, as well, because a) I like the all-rubber comfort factor, b) spring straps.

However, it seems Atomic has come out with a new fin, using the same polymer as the Liquid Blue (so I assume the same stiffness and buoyancy properties), as well as a new spring strap (spring 2007), retro-fittable to any Atomic. Additionally, it's a very cool looking new color: "Smoke on the Water." http://www.atomicaquatics.com/

I took a look at the new Atomic with the spring strap but it's a good $50 more than the liquid blue model. I don't think I need the spring strap (I only dive about 1-2 weeks per year). I was just wondering if the slightly lighter polymer in the liquid blue has any negative effect vs the regular splits. I do think the liquid blue is cool looking :D

Go buy the fins and go diving more than 2x a year!! Either are good choices. I like the rubber on the Apollo's but like I said they aren't very "pretty". I agree the Atomics are hot looking. Fact is.....both are good fins and highly rated. You won't make a mistake here either way.

I know on the Atomics I purchased the after market spring straps for $30 rather than the ones from the manufacturer. At the time, it was my only option. I do highly recommend the spring straps regardless of which one you go with. Easy on, Easy off which to me is nice when you are hanging off a ladder in 4-6 foot swells. Again, comfortable. Do you need them? Nope. Are they a really nice thing to have? Yep for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom