Split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amcordon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all.

I currently dive with Caravelle ADJ fins from Aqua Lung and I fell like I'm kicking with 2X4s on my feet. :depressed: They were my first fins in high school and were given to me with no choice. I think it is time for new fins and I am very heavily leaning towards split fins but don't know what brand/style to go with. Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks.

Fin preferences are very subjective. Some love splits but I hate them.

If my fins split I go see a good Veterinarian, because it is not a good sign, in the fish world it means you get eaten! :wink:

I have had a lot of experience with the Apollo original Biofin and the Atomic Smoke on the Water fins.

The Apollos are more comfortable and more robust, but very heavy and negative in the water. The Atomic smokes are positive in the water so I prefer them over the Apollos for that reason alone.

My main go to fins are the old USD original Blades.

Split fins DO work.

+1 for the Apollo Bio fins! They're very comfortable, indestructable, and powerful......Scubatoys always has good pricing on 'em, right about $ 200/pair......someone would have to pry 'em out of cold, dead hands before I'd give 'em up!

On scubatoys there are three types of the Apollo Bio Fins: Bio Fins, XT and Pro models, all for the same price. What, if any, is the difference? And should I spring for the sring straps (no pun intended)? I usually dive with boots on if that matters.

amcordon: Information on the various models of Apollo bio-fins is available @:
Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Split Fins: Overview

The XT model is the stiffest compound. Some divers, including myself, prefer the stiffer version for the more conventional 'feel", good low end torque, ability to use the old style scissor kick, etc.

The most efficient Apollo bio-fin-the one with the least effort and best top end speeds is the bio-fin pro. I like this fin for long dives, no strain and plenty of propulsion.

I know you will get lots of opinions on this thread. That is a good thing. As one of the early posts said: fin performance is very personal. Hope you have the opportunity to try out various models.

On scubatoys there are three types of the Apollo Bio Fins: Bio Fins, XT and Pro models, all for the same price. What, if any, is the difference? And should I spring for the sring straps (no pun intended)? I usually dive with boots on if that matters.

Whichever you choose (you can't go wrong with any unless like me you are really foot heavy.) I would recommend springs.

They are the most comfortable fin you will ever wear I suspect, and they are extremely efficient.

You will hear that split fins silt the bottom. It is not the fin that silts, but rather the kick. Split fins doing the same flutter kick as a paddle fin silt less.

Paddle fins are just better for alternate kicks such as a modified frog kick, which keeps the feet away from the bottom.

I've got (4) pairs of Bio Fins ....3 of them the standard rubber compound with stainless steel spring straps.....and one of them the 'stiffer' XT version, also with stainless steel spring straps. Without any question/hesitation whatsoever, absolutely get the stainless steel spring straps !!! They are the greatest thing since sliced bread and after you dive them you will wonder how on earth you dove without them !!! Now, I can't really decide for you if you should get the 'regular' versus the 'XT' version...it's a highly personal decision. I will say I was surprised at the very noticable greater stiffness of the XT's underwater, I didn't expect the difference to be that noticable. While YMMV, honestly, I found myself prefering the 'regular' version, less wear-an'-tear on the ankles, IMHO.

Whichever you choose (you can't go wrong with any unless like me you are really foot heavy.) I would recommend springs.

They are the most comfortable fin you will ever wear I suspect, and they are extremely efficient.

You will hear that split fins silt the bottom. It is not the fin that silts, but rather the kick. Split fins doing the same flutter kick as a paddle fin silt less.

Paddle fins are just better for alternate kicks such as a modified frog kick, which keeps the feet away from the bottom.

I have made at least 2 thousand dives in open heel fins and I find spring straps to be the most uncomfortable strap I have ever tried. The line of contact is just one thin line so the force per square inch is significantly greater than with any stock strap; plus they are more negatively buoyant than stock straps it would seem.

They are the most comfortable fin YOU have ever worn, but nobody has the same shape foot or same comfort zones as anybody else.

If you are doing the same flutter with splits that you are doing with paddles, you are doing the wrong flutter with one &/or the other. The proper flutter for a split is not the proper flutter for a paddle.

It may be "kicking" that silts, finning with fins is a much better solution. I think it is very likely, from my watching thousands of tourist divers each year for almost a decade, that for the typically untrained diver, the split fin just might stir up more sand/silt than a paddle.

Trim / body position along with proper finning is what keeps a diver from silting. When I fin my long blade free dive fins (Gara2000's) in any style (flutter, scissor, frog, modified frog, even dolphin) my trim dictates how far from the bottom the turbulence is, so any finning style can be done with the fins at any distance from the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom