Split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LindaL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have some Oceanic split fins (which I've used for about 8 years). I have read some reports saying that its very difficult to use split fins for the 'frog' method of finning, and I think I agree. So, I'm considering buying some new fins, however, on some recent articles/reviews I've read in dive magazines + on the web in general, it sounds like I wont have nearly the same power/speed from a non-split fin. Any advice (on both split Vs no split for both speed/control + the 'frog' question) would be welcome ..... Thanks.

I think you misread. You'll have more power and speed from a good quality solid fin than you will have with a split fin. I like the Hollis F1's a lot. I like the Dive Rite Fins a lot. The Oceanic solid fins are fine and comfortable but they are kind of pricey and not very stiff which I like.

Interesting - thanks for that .... one more quick question, do you think split fins are 'easier' on the legs ie is it any harder work using solid fins?

I have no problem with split fins doing the frog kick, or any kick for that matter. The only time split fins suck is either bad current or if you are carrying a large load(tech guys). For everyday rec diving, they are more than sufficient and yes they are more forgiving on your legs/hips.

Oh boy....you are opening a huge can of worms! I have been using these for years and they have always worked! :D
frog.jpg

I totally agree with you re split fins in a strong current, they are a pain (although I also must admit that I've very little experience with solid fins) .... but I do struggle with the frog kick with my split fins, you have a lot more dives than me, perhaps you've just mastered it and perhaps I'm just looking for the easy route - I do find they 'wobble' about when trying to frog kick. However, I for sure dont want to shell out on new fins if its not going to make much of a difference, especially if its harder on the legs. Mmmm hard call.
For information, here is the fin report that seems to favour split fins, interesting they dont actually mention the frog kick much when reviewing the spilt fins: Gear / Accessories | Scuba Diving Magazine

I totally agree with you re split fins in a strong current, they are a pain (although I also must admit that I've very little experience with solid fins) .... but I do struggle with the frog kick with my split fins, you have a lot more dives than me, perhaps you've just mastered it and perhaps I'm just looking for the easy route - I do find they 'wobble' about when trying to frog kick. However, I for sure dont want to shell out on new fins if its not going to make much of a difference, especially if its harder on the legs. Mmmm hard call.
For information, here is the fin report that seems to favour split fins, interesting they dont actually mention the frog kick much when reviewing the spilt fins: Gear / Accessories | Scuba Diving Magazine

Most split fins are fairly flexible and do not lend themselves to the frog kick. It can be done though to some extent with the less flexible ones. I used to do it, but much prefer a solid paddle for a frog kick.

Question of gear. Solid fins are a high gear, go fast takes more energy, split fins are a low gear go slow but easier. like riding up a hill.

I always use my splits in Frog kick, No idea why people say it does not work, it is the only way I get any power / Speed with my split fins,

I do not believe in swimming against the current, but I suppose if I did lots of shore diving then I might have more use for my solid jet fins.

I used to dive with Jet and Rocket Fins and then Aqualung Blades before I switched to the Apollo Bio-Fins. I had some concern about going with split fins, but found that they were really fine for almost all my local diving and my legs almost never cramp up when using them (as they occasionally did with the solid fins). I do take my Blades on dive trips both because the destinations often involve stronger currents and they are much lighter to travel with.

Back
Top Bottom